HELP: Replacement of old mains electric cables/components to Consumer units

The earthing looks like TN-S off the cable sheath to me.

The CUs look older but not ancient, there are two main issues I see with them. The first is that the left two CUs at least lack any RCD protection (you don't show the inside of the rightmost CU). The second is that you are likely to find it difficult to find the correct parts to make any modifications to them.

I see two main options for bringing this up to current standards. Both start out the same way.

1. Get rid of the henly blocks, switch-fuses and old main earth terminal (the latter mostly because it's in the way).
2. Mount a new main earth terminal close to the service cutout.

However after that I see two reasonable options.

3a. Replace the switch-fuses with a small-ish CU and run the existing CUs from RCBOs in the new CU to provide RCD protection.
3b. Replace the switch fuses with a new switch-fuse, and repalce the existing CUs with a single large CU.

Sponsored Links
My advice is save up and get a new cu with RCBOs and SPD plus new tails
any idea of the cable I will need to run to the CUs? and do i need to get the mains fuse update as it is only 60A??

Sponsored Links

The CUs look older but not ancient, there are two main issues I see with them. The first is that the left two CUs at least lack any RCD protection (you don't show the inside of the rightmost CU). The second is that you are likely to find it difficult to find the correct parts to make any modifications to them.

I see two main options for bringing this up to current standards. Both start out the same way.

1. Get rid of the henly blocks, switch-fuses and old main earth terminal (the latter mostly because it's in the way).

3a. Replace the switch-fuses with a small-ish CU and run the existing CUs from RCBOs in the new CU to provide RCD protection.
3b. Replace the switch fuses with a new switch-fuse, and repalce the existing CUs with a single large CU.
I agree, maybe it's best to change the lot get a large cu instead of 3 and run new cabling, thanks again

Any ideas what this may cost?
Like everything, it depends. If you live in Chelsea the cost will be vastly different to what you might pay in Stoke. What the various circuits are will determine what configuration of replacement CU you might need and an inspection may unearth other items that need attention before the work is carried out. (Very possible if any of the existing bis the same age as the "rubber" cables coming out of the two switch fuses).

I'll repeat my post above
Yoda.jpeg
Click Yoda fo help...

Like everything, it depends. If you live in Chelsea the cost will be vastly different to what you might pay in Stoke. What the various circuits are will determine what configuration of replacement CU you might need and an inspection may unearth other items that need attention before the work is carried out. (Very possible if any of the existing bis the same age as the "rubber" cables coming out of the two switch fuses).

I'll repeat my post above
View attachment 320313
Click Yoda fo help...
yes I hear you!! will get one in, just trying to figure out wether to cancel christmas!!

Ask your friends and neighbours for sparky recommendations and get some quotes.

Without a site visit we'd be guessing
This is notifiable electrical work. Must be find by a registered electrician, not your friend’s mate down the pub. Click Yoda in my post #23 and you’ll get a list of all electricians who are registered with one of the CPS.

thanks I have decided to do 1,2,3a for now and when I get the funds do 3b. any suggestions on the type of CU to use? also should i get the mains fuse changed to 100A? thanks

thanks I have decided to do 1,2,3a for now and when I get the funds do 3b. any suggestions on the type of CU to use? also should i get the mains fuse changed to 100A? thanks
My post #23 has all of the answers to these questions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back