SHOWER WIRE CONNECTION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again, my fuse box is the older type which has the type of fuses that one has to replace the fuse wire in when it blows,you know the ones with red or white or blue dots on.I have a spare one so can I fit on of the modern type RCD's that plug into the existing fuse location and connect my shower wireto this,thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
I think you'll have a job finding a plug-in RCD for an old wylex board - I think you mean MCB? It is also unlikely that your consumer unit is suitable for a modern electric shower (>7.2kw) as they were only designed for 30A per fuse way. It is also a good idea to have RCD protection for shower circuits which again, you do not have. The best advice I can give is to suggest that you consult a qualified electrician and see about having your consumer unit changed.

From your description you have a Wylex standard BS3036 fuse box and this is not suitable for you to connect a shower to, so you have 2 options

1. Replace the whole fuse board for a modern COnsumer unit incorporating RCD/MCB protection, which will give you space for all your existing circuits and your new shower circuit - this will have the added benefit of giving you some extra protection for your other circuits..

2. Split the tails with henley blocks and extend to a new small RCD protected Consumer unit for your shower circuit.

The reasoning behind this is that although BS7671 does not require you to have RCD protection for shower circuits the manufacturers instructions will most certainaly require you to use a RCD protected circuit for it!

ALSO this work falls under Part P of the building regulations and you should really get a qualified and registered spark to do this work as there are many safety considerations to take account of..

Yes I mean MCB,I have seen a gadget at my DIY store which is a MCB type thing and it looks like it is plugged into the fuse board in place of the spare fuse,does this sound right.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to say this, but if you are asking these questions they you should really get a pro spark in to sort it out for you---

ELECTRICITY KILLS YOU KNOW!!

mule - is this shower circuit a new circuit? i trust you have notified your local building control that you are doing this?

Yes and Yes,I am simply trying to avoid installing an additional consumer box and henly block,in reply to the statement that the box I have now is only suitable for 30 amp,I assumed if my cooker runs from it then a shower should also run,as regards why I am asking these questions it's a forum isn.t it .

your cooker rarely draws full load. your shower will draw full load every time its switched on, and showers frequently have higher ratings than cookers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back