PROBLEMS INSTALLING HORSTMANN C17 CH CONTROLLER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a C17 to replace my aged brown/cream digital Drayton Tempus Seven. The Drayton backplate has 7 teminals: E, N, L, 1, 2, 3, 4; and there are 3 wires connected to N, L, and 4. The C17 has an industry-standard backplate of 6 terminals: N, L, !, 2, 3, 4 and a separate earth terminal. The Drayton works fine with wires attached N, L, 4 but when I connect to these terminals on the C17 it won't work. Everything looks fine: I can programme the settings and the red "on" light appears but the boiler won't fire up even on 24hrs (continuous) . Any help would be very much appreciated. There are only these 3 wires.

The CH setup is a Vokera Combi Unica HE and it is connected to the Drayton digital timer via a Honeywell HC60NG relay module (which is bound to a Honeywell analog wireless thermostat).

Sponsored Links
Many thanks. The reason I have not done this is because the installation leaflet which comes with the C17 gives two typical wiring layouts for combi boilers and both diagrams are labelled "Terminals L-2 should not be linked". Is my 3-wire set-up untypical?

No it's not untypical, but the manufacturers can't show every possible wiring diagram. You need the link between L and 2 as shown above. Your old programmer had the link from live to common internally.

Sponsored Links
The link is not there because plenty of combination boilers do not require it. Fitting the link on those would damage the boiler.

I owe apologies all round. I leapt straight to the example wiring diagrams and missed the comment elsewhere in the instructions: "The CentaurPlus has voltage free contacts. A link L-2 is required for mains voltage applications". Have inserted this link and all tickety-boo now. Sorry to have wasted your time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back