Problems opening windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys

complete window novice please bear with me

got 3 windows round the house which are what I think are top hung/hinged. The handle which is at the bottom of the opening window and centre, seems to be connected to a pin either side of the window (not along the bottom of the frame) and these pins come out of the side of the frame and into stays to keep the window locked

Problem: Trying to open window, lift handle and it seems only 1 pin seems to retract and the other either stays or doesnt retract enough allowing me to open. I have to remove handle and get a small screwdriver and literally wiggle the whole mechanism side to side and eventually it pops open.
Now, of these what I seem to believe are "shootbolts"?? they all seem to have pins on the bottom which I dont have?

Any ideas? and I hope this generally makes sense

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have a shootbolt gearbox and its failed, does it say 'MILA' on it anywhere or a picture would help loads

sounds like a fairly standard problem for a shootbolt locking system. one part fails while the rest tries to work. Your three options are:

1) disable the part which is not working leaving you with (normally) 2 parts of 3 working.

2) add a surface lock on the side where the part has broken (after dismantling)

3) replace the locking mechanism with new shootbolts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back