Problems painting patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please can someone offer some advice on painting my patio doors. They are pine glazed doors painted with white gloss paint. I have just moved in so can't be more specific about what was used to piant them etc.

I attempted to piant them last summer. I sanded the rough paint off, filled the gaps in the wood with polycell wood flex polyfilla, sanded that perfectly flat, painted on an undercoat, then two coats of exterior gloss. A few months later, and the paint had formed creases and bubbled in places. It had formed blisters that you could burst and which were filled with a clear fluid. Where the paint had formed creases, you could pick the paint off with your finger nail, and see the polyfilla underneath which had expanded and was powder-like.

I attempted to sand back the worst bits, and then filled the gaps again with a two part exterior wood filler this time. I left it a while to see what happened before painting again - and sure enough it did the same thing once more forming creases and bumps.

Here are some pictures:

SL273437.jpg

SL273436.jpg

SL273435.jpg

SL273434.jpg

SL273433.jpg

I have wasted loads of time on this already, so would reallly appreciate any advice to where I'm going wrong or what products I should use.

Many thanks,

G

Sponsored Links
The doors are knackered. Time for a new set.

The doors are knackered. Time for a new set.

Thanks for the reply, but they are barely 10 years old, have no rot at all, and are a big set of expensive doors. The pictures are just shots of the glazed sections showing the glazed sections.

Any other advice please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back