Problems starting mountfield 2284 ride on mower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently started helping out with my local football club odd jobs, cutting and marking the pitch etc.

We have the above mower and it is a nightmare to start. It will start off jump leads. However the battery is showing 12v when tested. I have checked that the battery fuse has not blown.

It starts to turn but then just clicks.

Once jumped it will work fine until you stop it, then you have to jump it again

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Stick your test meter on the battery, and see what happens when you crank the engine.
My guess is that the voltage will fall to below 10, which indicates the battery is below par.
With the engine running, your meter should read around 14v at 3000 rpm.
John :)

I should have added - is there a charging light on this machine? If so, it should be illuminated (unlike a car system).
Does your machine have a Briggs motor?

Sponsored Links
Obviously there's little wrong with your machine, as the engine starts ok with a donor battery.
So - either it's the machines battery that's called it a day, or the engines charging system that keeps the battery charged up.
A fact or two....if the battery has been left flat for a while, then it's game over. A motor factor will test the battery for you to determine this.
So, it's out with your test meter, really....post back with any readings if you think we can help. A point though.....any car type battery can indicate a healthy 12v or so when it's idle. It's when it's under load the true voltage will be given, and even a bulb across the terminals will provide this electrical load.
Briggs alternators are pretty reliable, overall.....but the voltage regulators /diode packs can get huffy. Happily, they aren't too expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back