Problems wiring up extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would be grateful for a bit of help with my extractor fan which I have tried installing. I have a switch (not connected to light), which I had intended to just leave on as I have purchased one with a humidistat so would just switch itself off when the humidity drops. My old one had a separate humidistat/transformer as it was 12v- I have removed this and connected up the wiring using a wago connector. Therefore the only wires I have are a neutral and live.

I then came to wiring up my new fan and having tried connecting the live up with both the L and switched L terminals, it won't work. I have tried all the different settings on the fan itself and it definitely should be turning on. I have checked with my voltage pen and there is showing that the wiring is indeed 'live' when I turn the power back on after isolating.

Is anyone able to advise what I might be doing wrong? I've attached a photo of the instructions as well and thought I was going with fig.4....

Thanks

Attachments

• B789C1FF-1C43-4236-90FA-62B268AE63B3.jpeg
    B789C1FF-1C43-4236-90FA-62B268AE63B3.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 51
  • D0AC490F-9CFC-4817-A74A-2FC366E4F606.jpeg
    D0AC490F-9CFC-4817-A74A-2FC366E4F606.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 656C53E1-2487-4F89-B1A4-5309075A0A05.jpeg
    656C53E1-2487-4F89-B1A4-5309075A0A05.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 56
  • B87E181B-8D5E-4323-B6EA-E743AC53160E_1_201_a.jpeg
    B87E181B-8D5E-4323-B6EA-E743AC53160E_1_201_a.jpeg
    321 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Wago connectors don't work like that. Only one wire goes into each port of the Wago and both ports are connected internally. So you need 3 Wago connectors. 1 for the red wires, another for the black wires and a third for the green/yellow wires.

You have connected live to neutral. This will have blown a fuse or tripped an mcb.

Wago connectors don't work like that. Only one wire goes into each port of the Wago and both ports are connected internally. So you need 3 Wago connectors. 1 for the red wires, another for the black wires and a third for the green/yellow wires.

You have connected live to neutral. This will have blown a fuse or tripped an mcb.
Thanks! Feel like a bit of a numpty. First time using wago connectors as you can probably tell. All sorted and working now.

That'ts ok. We all have to learn. Your Wago connectors should not be left dangling loose above the ceiling. They must go in a Wago box.

In your second photo, where is that white cable going to be routed when you put the plasterboard back?

Sponsored Links
That'ts ok. We all have to learn. Your Wago connectors should not be left dangling loose above the ceiling. They must go in a Wago box.

In your second photo, where is that white cable going to be routed when you put the plasterboard back?
Right understood. Didn’t know that either so will buy a junction box. As for the cable- good question. I was thinking about notching into stud work below and routing it there? Open to suggestions…

Only issue I have with the fan now is that it is permanently on which I can’t figure out as I have the settings on for humidity and definitely shouldn’t be triggering presently. Will have to keep fiddling with the settings.

I have a switch (not connected to light), which I had intended to just leave on as I have purchased one with a humidistat so would just switch itself off when the humidity drops. My old one had a separate humidistat/transformer as it was 12v- I have removed this and connected up the wiring using a wago connector. Therefore the only wires I have are a neutral and live.
Then the fan will only work off and on with the switch.

As an aside... I too fitted a humidistat with a single live only (running from the upstairs main ring).

I then decided that it might be nice to be able to activate it to remove "smells". I took the live in to the fused spur and sent one via a switch to become the switched live and let the other live be the permanent live to trigger the humidistat.

It works as intended.

Then the fan will only work off and on with the switch.
Ah right... thanks. I'm a bit confused about that. The instructions state "for automatic operation- extractor is connected to the main supply with only two wires. The humidistat causes the extractor to operate automatically when the humidity level in the room is higher than the set level"

I therefore assumed even when the switch is on that it would not operate unless humidity was above whatever level I set it at.

As an aside... I too fitted a humidistat with a single live only (running from the upstairs main ring).

I then decided that it might be nice to be able to activate it to remove "smells". I took the live in to the fused spur and sent one via a switch to become the switched live and let the other live be the permanent live to trigger the humidistat.

It works as intended.

Sounds interesting- I think possibly well beyond my expertise!

Ah right... thanks. I'm a bit confused about that. The instructions state "for automatic operation- extractor is connected to the main supply with only two wires. The humidistat causes the extractor to operate automatically when the humidity level in the room is higher than the set level"

I therefore assumed even when the switch is on that it would not operate unless humidity was above whatever level I set it at.
That's not how they usually work. That would mean you could not turn on the fan at other times.

What model is it?

I wrote this before but after reading the above I had better say this is how fans usually work:

Ok, same as drives has so the humidistat did not work.

I then decided that it might be nice to be able to activate it to remove "smells".
You mean switch it on.

I took the live in to the fused spur
Ok, to a Fused Connector Unit; the cable is the now the fused spur instead of an unfused spur.

and sent one via a switch to become the switched live and let the other live be the permanent live to trigger the humidistat.
The permanent live supplies the humidistat which merely keeps triggering the timer circuit until the humidity drops when the fan will stop after the set time.
It works as intended.
...because it is wired as it should be.

I've attached the instructions- so it does comment on the setting one can use to switch it on if the humidity levels are permanently low. It is an Envirovent SILDES100HT.

Attachments

• 2F2064A7-6CE8-4A01-8D63-37F658A0CCAC_1_201_a.jpeg
    2F2064A7-6CE8-4A01-8D63-37F658A0CCAC_1_201_a.jpeg
    499.9 KB · Views: 16
Mmmm. It does say that.

Have you set all the dip switches correctly - if you have to.

In instructions I have found, later on it states:

1679503189782.png

I see it says that at the end of the page you posted.

Mmmm. It does say that.

Have you set all the dip switches correctly - if you have to.

In instructions I have found, later on it states:

View attachment 298911

I see it says that at the end of the page you posted.
Yes I have- they are all in the 'off' position which should mean that the fan only operates if humidity is over 90%.

I saw that bit, and just thought in my case as I don't have a switched live it would operate as per the other section of the manual.

Figure 8 is the normal set up, but is described rather strangely.

It's not really overriding the thermostat when humidity is low; but the humidistat independently operating the fan (whether switched on or not) when humidity is high.

1679504817714.png

You will note that Figure 9 only shows two terminals, L & N.

Could it be that there are two types of fan and you have the three terminal one.

That doesn't make sense but I can think of nothing else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back