problems with an ideal logic plus boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening All,

I was wondering whether anyone can help with the following problem that I'm experiencing with my ideal boiler and heating system. It is as follows:

Every couple of days the pressure on the boiler drops from just over 1 bar to just under 1/2 bar and then I subsequently top it up and the process occurs again within around 3-4 days.

I have looked through the other forums for similar problems and have checked to make sure I am not loosing water through the safety valve or the drain cock. I have also checked the pressure of the vessel within the boiler and have measured 1.2 bar. I have bled the entire heating system and there was little air in the system so it doesn't appear as if I'm loosing it there.

The boiler is approximately 2 years old and the heating system/ pipe work was installed in 1997. If anyone has any ideas as to where the pressure may be being lost I would be very grateful.

All the best,

Graham.[/code]

Sponsored Links
Hi graham before the weather gets cold and you need your heating on pressurise your boiler to about 2 bar on the guage when the boiler is cold and switch off the power supply so the boiler cant come on, then close the flow and return isolating valves these will be shown in your Manufacturers instructions , leave it like this as long as possible preferably 24 hrs then check the boilers pressure guage if it has dropped the pressure loss is within the boiler , if it hasnt then open the isolating valves and if the pressure then drops the pressure loss is on your system and nothing to do with the boiler

No they wont if you call them out and its nothing to do with the boiler why would they have to pay for it ????

Sponsored Links
Phone ideal. It will be under warr and they will tell you if it is boiler or not.

Do you think that Ideal have some super powers which enable them to see what the system leak is?

The reality is they will send an engineer, charge for the visit and not even find the leak in the system!

As Ianmcd , then

Check all your rad valves - most common source of a leak.

If the heat exchanger's leaking it could be going down the condensate pipe. With boiler off put the pressure up to 2 bar and see if it's dripping, if you can. It might have a trap with holds/dumps half a cupful at a time though - often translucent.

Good morning,

Thanks for all your replies and apologies for taking so long to update you but, I topped the system up to 2 bar last night as Ianmcd said and closed of the flow and return valves and this morning the boiler had dropped by 1/2 a Bar. So it seems like it may be the heat exchanger as your mentioned ChrisR as there was a constant drip from the condensate pipe.

I'll give ideal a call today to see if I can get them out to look at the boiler and hopefully resolve this issue. I can't believe that the heat exchanger would go after only 2 years though? I just hope this isn't the shape of things to come?

All the best,

Graham.

Good morning,

Thanks for all your replies and apologies for taking so long to update you but, I topped the system up to 2 bar last night as Ianmcd said and closed of the flow and return valves and this morning the boiler had dropped by 1/2 a Bar. So it seems like it may be the heat exchanger as your mentioned ChrisR as there was a constant drip from the condensate pipe.

I'll give ideal a call today to see if I can get them out to look at the boiler and hopefully resolve this issue. I can't believe that the heat exchanger would go after only 2 years though? I just hope this isn't the shape of things to come?

All the best,

Graham.

It's made by ideal. Skip fodder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back