Problems with builder

Sponsored Links
It would probably concentrate the engineer's mind if you insisted that his instruction from the loft company also included a professional duty of care to yourself, so something like a joint instruction but loft company to settle the bill.

Then if he was tempted to water down his recommendations he could be facing a potential claim from you.

I forwarded the report to BCO and asked for their comment. Turns out the watered down part (doubling up rafters) had been pointed out to the contractors during a visit. So, at this point it doesn't really matter what the report says for that particular point because BCO told them twice to do it and they didn't.

Sadly have had no reply from the loft company since they gave me the report. I am giving them until Tuesday then I'll be following to the letter the legal advice I've been given.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sorry.. me again.

So I got the builder to complete the structural fixes and the SE came back and gave verbal OK. Won't give anything in writing as he sees his job as done.

Building control have gone completely silent on this, after asking me what certifications I thought were needed. I politely suggested they might be directing me with that info rather than the other way round but I think it should be electrical minor works cert, fensa for windows, and building control signoff.

So I'm now chasing the builder for sign offs. Electrician says cert is with builder. No sign of fensa. Building control seem clueless. Builder says one of their guys is dealing with this but I hear nothing back.

All the while if I sell my house I'll be in trouble for not having the required docs.

Any advice please? At my wits end with these muppets. So tempted to pay a visit to their shop and start very loud complaints. Simpler to hit their Facebook page though. I have an email chain which basically drops them in it as completely incompetent.

I also have information I'm pretty sure HMRC would take a dim view of. Too low?

Edit.. is it correct that certs must be supplied within 30 days of completion?

Last edited:
I may be wrong here but my understanding is a builder can sign off new Windows as part or a build and fensa is a self certification scheme for contractors to replace existing windows without you having to get building control out to inspect. So your builder should sign off the windows. The electrician I believe should sign off the electrics separately.

Out of interest, did your builder make structural alterations to your loft without first getting an engineers report?

A builder wouldn't normally be fensa registered, so unless they are, then they can't sign off the windows. But they may have added it in as part of the building control application, in which case the BCO will have a little gizmo that can check if the glass is the right type, so talk to the BCO about that.

The electrcian would have been employed and paid by the builder, so it would be reasonable for him to to give them the electrical certificate, but he should be able to provide you with a copy as a matter of courtesy. If he won't, then see if you can quietly check to make sure he's a registered electrician. If he's not, then you'd need to get a proper electrician in to do a test report for you.

If building control are now happy with the work, then once they get the relevant certificates, they should supply you with a completion certificate.

A builder wouldn't normally be fensa registered, so unless they are, then they can't sign off the windows. But they may have added it in as part of the building control application, in which case the BCO will have a little gizmo that can check if the glass is the right type, so talk to the BCO about that.

The electrcian would have been employed and paid by the builder, so it would be reasonable for him to to give them the electrical certificate, but he should be able to provide you with a copy as a matter of courtesy. If he won't, then see if you can quietly check to make sure he's a registered electrician. If he's not, then you'd need to get a proper electrician in to do a test report for you.

If building control are now happy with the work, then once they get the relevant certificates, they should supply you with a completion certificate.
windows would come under the BC app for the loft and wouldn't need a separate addition, nor FENSA certification
If the electrical works were minor works then a cert would be provided to who ever is paying the bill, if they are notifiable then it doesn't matter who gets a copy, they will be notified to BC via the appropriate registration scheme.

Except the electrician has said that the cert is with the builder, so there's an implication there that he hasn't serf certified.

Out of interest, did your builder make structural alterations to your loft without first getting an engineers report?

Correct. Even though we told them the work was structural and gave them the work specifically because they assured us a SE would be involved.

Honestly this has been a rubbish experience and puts me off another extension we had been considering. The timberwork skirting and arcitrave etc are fairly poor standard. I would get them back but every time they come back to do something they are so cack-handed they cause another issue.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

So I'm basically waiting for a BCO completion certificate.

Emailed the BCO last Thursday, usually takes her a week to reply.

Correct. Even though we told them the work was structural and gave them the work specifically because they assured us a SE would be involved.

Honestly this has been a rubbish experience and puts me off another extension we had been considering. The timberwork skirting and arcitrave etc are fairly poor standard. I would get them back but every time they come back to do something they are so cack-handed they cause another issue.

If it involved cutting in dormers that sounds really reckless.

Best wishes on getting it completed and signed off

Can anyone confirm if certs are supposed to be provided within 30 days of completion please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back