Problems with Glow Worm Fuelsave 100F

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is an old boiler but we will be selling the house next spring and the cost estimates for replacing it are prohibitive.

The boiler intermitently does not light. Sometimeds in the morning say the radiators will be cold, the pilot light in the boiler is lit, but the main burner has not come on. Other times the boiler will light from cold but once everything is hot and it switches off, when it re lights the pilot light lights, but the main burner does not come on.

Tapping it or mereley switching itoff then on again causes the main burmer to foire up.

My engineer saya its not the thermosstat as the piulot lights and we habve changed the PCB to no effect. He now thinks its the main gas valve.

This is £300 odd to replace and I would really appreciate a second/third oppinion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sorry but would have to be in front of the boiler to give a definative opinion, I think you should engage a more experience heating /boiler engineer who wont just throw parts at it

You need someone in front of it who is competent with fault finding. There are no shortcuts to this. What can be assumed from your description is it's not the gas valve. You've already wasted a PCB.

I have now unearted the Fuelsaver 100F service Manual and the fault finding instructions are compleetely opposite to the advice in the last post. They basically say that if the pilot lights and no spark continues then its either the PCB/Sequence Board or the gas valve depending on the voltage at the main solenoid.

I will have the voltage checked but I am assuming its OK because I have repalced the PCB.

According to the manual that only leaves the Gas Valve. The problem is this may be no longer available, although I believe the solenoid is. Has any one any idea if its the solenoid part of the valve that could cause this type of fault.

Sponsored Links
Stick a picture up of gas valve and can tell you if solenoid available why anyone would change a pcb without checking for voltage at main solenoid with pilot lit shows lack of basic fault finding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back