Problems with my engine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vauxhall Calibra but there's something not quite right about the engine.

When it is at rest, in neutral, the engine does some weird things. Sometimes, it rests at 1000rpm as you would expect, however sometimes, it creeps upto 2000rpm and then drops back down to 1000, then creeps back up and drops down again...the pattern goes one.

Other times, (quite often when I've been travelling at high speeds), it will rest at 2000rpm or even 3000rpm when in neutral.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? Is it fixable by me?

Sponsored Links
dont know anything about calibras but i had a toyota do this and it was a sensor in the trottle body that was the problem

its a long time ago , if iremember there was two or more sensors in the trottle body , i first changed the complete body of a working car so thats how i narrowed down the problem , the sensor was operated by the opening and closing of a valve you will see where the wires go in, i have no idea if this is your problem or not but might be a good place to start, if your mechanicaly minded its not that hard to do , if not your better to send it into a garage

Sponsored Links
probably the idle stabilisation valve,no idea where it is on a calibra but could just need a good clean out with some carb spray cleaner

Back