Problems with new socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was trying to replace a white plug socket with a silver one

when i took off the old socket there was a live, neutral and earth wire that all has two cores coming out of each wire and a separate earth one that only had one core

Wired it all up etc and when i plugged something in it worked but now every so often the electrics are going off and in the main box the main switch is off and the big grey switch with the test button is also off

when i put the old socket back on the electric has stayed on since so all i can think is that the wiring was loose when i put the new one on

Any one shed any light?

Sponsored Links
Did you notice whether it was loose when you changed it back?

A loose conection normally causes more resistance, causing more current.....

Well it was okay before you changed over.

Isolate supply and take the new socket off the wall. Check all wires for correct termination, check all screws for firmness, hold and then pull the wires firmly to make absolutely sure they are in place.

Hopefully you will have found something that's not right and fixed it.

If the above hasn't, could it be that the cable is being fouled as you close the socket on to the wall with the screws?

I'd be extremely careful if the back boxes are shallow and the boxes near flush with the plaster. Flat faced metal finish sockets have more 'internals' than the standard white sockets, thus more depth behind them is required.

You might get round squashing cables due to shallow depth of back box by striping back more sheath and pre bending the TE cores, so they collapse into the space areas, when the socket is close up.

If it doesn't- it's deeper b/box or back to white sockets.

Thanks for that! I'll give it a go and let you know if there's any problems!

Sponsored Links
electronicsuk said:
Chivers7 said:
A loose conection normally causes more resistance, causing more current.....

How did you figure that more resistance = more current? Ohms law says I = V/R

does that mean a loose connection will have less resistance :?:

loose connection has more resistance and so less current.

but the current will be passing through a poor contact so the point of contact will get hot.

JohnD said:
loose connection has more resistance and so less current.

but the current will be passing through a poor contact so the point of contact will get hot.

i know I made an error in my first statement but it does start to make you think :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back