Problems with roof structure

Sponsored Links
I've had a reputable roofer come out to take a look and has noticed the hip timber cracked close to where bowing is on back. That probably explains why triangulation is inadequate and bowing!. He said it doesn't look good from inside and will be costly to sort out. Roof will have to come off. He has said to budget for 10k ish :eek:

He is saying surveyor wouldn't have seen the crack because he would have poked head into loft for few seconds.

Recommended structural engineer who can work out load and strengthening and triangulation.

Just wondering if I should call original surveyor and ask him if he noticed the major crack on the hip beam. He did mention in report that there were some splinter shrinkage cracks in timber.

Property also has rising damp which I thought was the bigger issue. Turns out not.

Last edited:
Cant hurt to contact the original surveyor but bear in mimd you paid for a home buyers report not a structural survey.

That said he will/should have noticed the crack

Blup

Recommended structural engineer who can work out load and strengthening and triangulation.
Yes, structural engineer for structural report - structural engineer , structural engineer , structural engineer , structural engineer , structural engineer

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back