Problems with Vaillant boiler flames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my boiler stop working and discovered water had leaked into it and damaged the PCB. I fixed the leak in the ceiling and replaced the PCB but since then i have had a problem with the flames within the boiler.

When the boiler (Vaillant Combi Heater VCW T3W) kicks in, the flames do not just burn vertically but some "escape" and burn in the gap between where they should be and the outside wall of the boiler. These flames are then heating the boiler and the fumes are not escaping though the flue. After, for example, a shower there is an extremely noticeable smell in the house and the outside of the boiler is too hot to touch.

Does anyone know what could be causing the problem and what i can do to resolve the issue?

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know what could be causing the problem and what i can do to resolve the issue?

switch off boiler this is immediately dangerous. you need a new boiler.

claim off your house insurance.leak elsewhere has caused boiler to bust.

Is it a conventional flued t3 if so it sounds like it has sooted up a good service should sort the rolls royce of combi`s. Stop using it till it is done as boiler is life threatening in this condition

Sponsored Links
Apart from sooted heat ex, if thats clear and flue is clear there may be a fault with the burner. I once saw one that had split at the side of 2 burner bars and was burning between the 2.

Probs just needs a good service though !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back