PROBLEMS!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realise this is not really a DIY question, but I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the following:

I have recently moved into a rented property, there were so many little things wrong with it to start with, and there still are, but the main thing is that we have no central heating.

We took the property on WITH central heating, and after two days of going without electric because of the meter being £50 in arrears, we put on the heating for the first time. A leak started coming from the loft and we rang the property management company's emergency number which they didn't answer, over and over again.

Basically we've been without heating for over a week and they don't seem to care, the plumber's been and said we need a new boiler and that's the stage that we're at now, but we still don't know when we're getting the heating back on.

Does anybody know if I have the right to withhold either all or part of next month's rent, or demand some back for not having proper facilities that we've paid for?!

Your views would be much appreciated and sorry for the essay!

Cheers

Claire

Sponsored Links
Generally a heating system is seen to be part of the fixtures of the property, if it was there at the start of the tenancy, the landlord cannot remove, only repair or upgrade. If a residential tenancy, an installed heating system should operate as it was designed to. However this does not mean that the system has to be effective, efficient, cost effective or anything like that, just be safe and work.

Send letters even after phone calls and always have your landlord do the same. Keep a copy and send by registered post.

Don't withhold rental without getting your landlord's consent - you can be evicted. Don't pay for repairs yourself unless you have your landlord's consent - you may not get your money back.

Without heating your property is "unfit for human habitation" and you can ask the environmental health office at your local council for help. As well as advice they can also
a) serve notice on your Landlord to have it repaired
b) temporarily rehome you.

Alternatively consult citizens advice.

I would recommend you read http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/ageconcern/media/Factsheet_36.pdf page 12 onwards.

Thanks very much for that, you're the only person I've got any sense out of, nobody else seems to want to know when I call them and Citizen's Advice doesn't open for telephone advice until tomorrow!

Cheers, I owe you a pint! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back