PROCEDURES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can some one please tell me the procesures when re installing the mains cut out fuse eg does the cu have to be turned of

thanlks

Sponsored Links
I don't think you should be fiddling with your service fuse.

Please get someone who knows what they are doing before you kill yourself.

does the cu have to be turned of
Doesn't have to be, but if you have to ask that kind of question, you are doomed either way.

The DNO are the only ones who should be replacing or removing the fuse. Get it wrong and you die, plus as a special bonus your house burns down, putting other people's lives and property at risk.

No fuses should really be put in under load conditions.
Even the DNO should not AFAIK, without first putting there gadget across and ramping it up to ensure theres no fault .

Sponsored Links
You shouldn;t be pulling the service fuse and it should be sealed. IIf it is not sealed you are at risk of being pursued for theft of services. Call your local electricity company if you need anything done with that. They'll o it safely and use the appropriate PPE and safety precautions.

and how long do they take?
As long as it takes. You need to ask them, not us. You've got to ask then to come and do it anyway, so at the same time you can ask them how long it will take. Do you have a fax machine, or access to one? They will want to see a copy of the EIC for the installation.

and what kind of ppe is used?
That which is appropriate, but there is absolutely no need for you to concern yourself about it because it will not be your responsibility to provide it - they will bring it with them when they come to do the job.

ditto above.

You shouldn't be messing with the fuse. Its not a case of if you can do it safely, more a case of doing it legally. (which you can't)

If you intend to plough on regardless of the advice given, just make sure that if your electric oven/hob/shower/heaters are set to full power and the cu is on - wear sunglasses went you stuff the fuse in the hole..

and how long do they take? and what kind of ppe is used?

Same day. They will probably be really quick just now with the recession, many electricians at the local electricity company contracting division have been redeployed to meter reading and this sort of thing to maintain their employment so I guess response times are quicker than normal.
I'm not telling you the PPE, so you don't get ideas. You shouldn't be touching the service fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back