Whats the standard procedure?

AS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can some one tell me what the standard procedure / order is with getting a second consumer unit fitted in an extension - so I don't end up getting the elec out twice or more?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
from what you say i understand it to mean that you want to put an additional consumer unit in the garage and feed it from the existing consumer unit which is in your house.

if so, what will the garage be used for? if its just for a couple of sockets and a light then i cant see a problem, simple procedure will be to use a 32/40 amp mcb run 6mm cable to the shed then terminate into the new consumer unit. from the new consumer unit you can run the new circuits.

dont do this though until your sparky has seen the cable run and the purpose of the job.

Thanks, But 2 nd consumer unit is for house extension on other side of fat wall - not practical to run all cables from existing CU. Extension will have bedroom, shower room and utility room. Which presumably will require more than 32 amp mcb and thicker cable.

AS said:
Thanks, But 2 nd consumer unit is for house extension on other side of fat wall - not practical to run all cables from existing CU. Extension will have bedroom, shower room and utility room. Which presumably will require more than 32 amp mcb and thicker cable.

wil the shower room have an electric shower or run from combi?

Sponsored Links
andrew2022 said:
wil the shower room have an electric shower?
Even if it doesn't now, it might one day. Or might be granny-ised with own cooker.

You only want to do it once - split the tails, don't feed the new CU from the first.

Don't need to call out the electricity board - your electrician should be able to do it all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back