Programmable Thermostat to Replace Mechanical 3 Wire Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Our home is fitted with dual zone (upstairs and downstairs, surprisingly) thermostats and I am thinking a programmable thermostat might be a better solution for the family.

Slight changes to the working patterns mean the on-off twice a day which the central heating controller offers just isn't enough and we find ourselves changing the thermostat frequently.

Currently the thermostats are three wire as shown in the pictures below.

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement, where it is possible to program the thermostat with different temperatures at different times of the day? I assume that I can just have the main three channel central heating controller (Heat Upst, Heat Dnst, Hot Water) set so that the heating is constantly on, and just the thermostat controlling whether there is a heat demand if that makes sense.

I have had a bit of a look, but it seems a lot of options need a new controller fitting to the boiler, and I don't feel that is necessary.

Some kind of smart thermostat being a like for like replacement for the existing thermostat would be a great, or do I have to go the whole hog and replace with a new central heating controller, and two new thermostats? Any recommendations?

1.jpeg
2.jpeg

Sponsored Links
As the existing thermostats are mains operated. Any "Programmable Thermostat" could replace them. I would suggest that you search for one you personally like the features / look of and then post back for any comments / installation help you need.

Some smart thermostats are wireless and have a separate receiver which saves running wires out to the room thermostats and simplifies wiring for the initial installation. However, for ease of replacement as you already have wires in place already then a direct wired thermostat (without a remote receiver) would be the easiest way to go. There's an example of a similar installation here.

As you have figured, the existing programmer should be set such that the two heating zones are permanently on, thus allowing the new programmable thermostats to take full control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back