Programmer wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine popped around today to replace our aged programmer - however halfway through the job, he had a phone call and had to shoot off to work - understandable - but leaving me with no heating nor hot water ! Unfortunely he will not be able to come back for a number of days, and we cannot wait that long for heating/water as I'm sure you can imaging.

I'm tempted to just get an electrician in - however, the concept of wiring up the new programmer doesnt seem that alien to me - however, I'm slightly at a loss as to where to start really (maybe it is that alien after all lol).

All the wires from the have been left - disonnected from the backplate - and without identification as to which is which. How does one start to identify which wire should be going where? Clearly I can identify which is live, neutral eart etc - including the harmonised ones :)

Programmer to be fitted is a Drayton Tempus - and as I far as I can make out, there was 8 wires previously connected to the last programmer.

Any thoughts? Get a sparky is a perfectly acceptable answer if its honestly felt that this is beyond the scope of a relative inexperienced electrician :)

Sponsored Links
Some friend :rolleyes: , better get tracing those wires to find out which is which. Why on earth didn't he put them back in the original holes so you could wire the new clock up from the diagram :?:

yeah, I know.

Obviously I can identify which is the live wire coming in, but how I can identify from the other items (boilter stat, 3pv etc) which should carry the live etc? Can I accurately rely in the colour of the wire as per standards (inc new harmonised colours etc?)

Sounds like you need a heating engineer or electrician (who understands heating controls). It can be difficult to trace the various wires back to other terminals, even if you understand how the controls work.

Sponsored Links
with the power off connect each wire to earth one at a time and then check you get an electrical continuity reading across calling and earth at each component, when you get continuity that will identify the correct wire. Needs a bit of system knowhow however.

Cheers all .. I admit defeat.

Man with a screwdriver on the way. Just hope he's not off 'Rogue Traders' :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back