Project, 1970's house, needs updating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All, A newbie to the forum here.

Today I got the keys for my new house, An old lady had live here since 1972 and I don't think she did any home improvements.

Plan is to strip back the wallpaper and paint
New Electrics,
New Kitchen
Remove carpets and either scrub up wooden floors or lay new wooden floors
Add original Victorian features - fireplaces.
Install a Log Burner
Install Central Heating
New Bathrooms and Downstairs Loo
Double Glaze the remaining single glazed windows

I plan to do as much as I can prior to Christmas, as I currently have somewhere else to live until the 9th Jan.
Central heating and bathrooms will not be done until a later date due to budget constrains. Heating will be reliant on the log burner and storage heaters.

I have been in today and taken out the fireplace ready for stove installers inspection, and I also had a nice surprise in the Master bedroom behind a fireplace cover.

View media item 69332View media item 69333View media item 69334View media item 69331View media item 69335
I will try and update as I go along, anyone has any advice from anything they see in photos or my post, please shout out.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I particularly like the new stair carpet. It reminds me of Blockbusters.

Shouldn't you have fitted that last? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Last year I had a conservatory built which I had under floor heating put in plus real timberland flooring also put into my kitchen and pantry. It made such a difference ,the quality is 10 times better than cheap flooring from bq or wicks as it bends and squeaks when you walk on it,if you are looking at staying in the property ,you only want to do it once and it to last. As regards replacing windows don,t buy cheap you want good quality manufactured in uk also 15 years on glass ,not 10 years if you want value for money good guarantee I will recommend a company been doing this for more than 30 years

Sorry, its a 1900 house, but with 1970's flower power!
1970s house? Is that a typo?

Cheers
Richard

A quick two day update

I have stripped the downstairs of wallpaper, and one wall had a nice pink slim finish, there others had a grey finish, which wasn't too bad, and may need a light sand with a bit of ployfil.
I have started removing the polystyrene tiles - not a fun job, but the ceiling doesn't look too bad.

What is the grey paster finish?

Thanks

Sorry, its a 1900 house, but with 1970's flower power!
1970s house? Is that a typo?

Cheers
Richard

A quick two day update

I have stripped the downstairs of wallpaper, and one wall had a nice pink slim finish, there others had a grey finish, which wasn't too bad, and may need a light sand with a bit of ployfil.
I have started removing the polystyrene tiles - not a fun job, but the ceiling doesn't look too bad.

What is the grey paster finish?

Thanks

Grey plaster would probably be cement is it a full wall or 3' high?

I first thought it may have been Cemet, it is full height of the wall. Would I be able to just a filling compound over any blemishes and then sand and paint

Last year I had a conservatory built which I had under floor heating put in plus real timberland flooring also put into my kitchen and pantry. It made such a difference ,the quality is 10 times better than cheap flooring from bq or wicks as it bends and squeaks when you walk on it,if you are looking at staying in the property ,you only want to do it once and it to last. As regards replacing windows don,t buy cheap you want good quality manufactured in uk also 15 years on glass ,not 10 years if you want value for money good guarantee I will recommend a company been doing this for more than 30 years

A first ever post, from someone who can recommend a conservatory! What a happy coincidence!

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back