Renovation Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all HELLO everyone.

We are looking for some information and help.

I live in a 1960's semi which is in need of renovation. It has had an extension in the past but we do not feel that the rooms/space are being best utilised. We have a long list of work that we wish to do including removing the chimney completely, installing velux style windows, replacing kitchen and bathroom, rewiring and new central heating. We have had quotes for doing the electrics(£2300) and CH(£3200-3700) which we are happy with but need to get the some of the other work done beforehand.

We would like to completely remove the existing fireplace and chimney to free up room in our living room as it is very narrow. Would we be correct in thinking that the fireplace can be to the side of the chimney? It appears that the flue must run at an angle to join the main chimney stack. Please feel free to tell us if this is not possible!

Would it be better to remove the chimney completely or to have it propped in the loft with an RSJ and then removed in the rooms below? My preference would be to remove it completely to save any future issues with the stack but obviously cost at the moment is an issue.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
We would like to completely remove the existing fireplace and chimney to free up room in our living room as it is very narrow. Would we be correct in thinking that the fireplace can be to the side of the chimney? It appears that the flue must run at an angle to join the main chimney stack. Please feel free to tell us if this is not possible!

Not really sure what you're asking for here. Many chimneys split from the main stack and go into two rooms. Flues can be angeled to accomodate. Alternatively, dependant on your room size you can get flueless gas fires. If you're getting rid of your chimney, what does it matter?

Would it be better to remove the chimney completely or to have it propped in the loft with an RSJ and then removed in the rooms below? My preference would be to remove it completely to save any future issues with the stack but obviously cost at the moment is an issue.

Unless you've got a massive chimney or a tiny room, removing the chimney doesn't make a huge difference to the size of the room in relation to the cost of the work. However, if you're determined to get it done - I'd get rid of the chimney completely. Yes it will cost more to do, but there's less chance of problems further down the line - lots of other posters on this forum who've had issues with RSJs or partial chimney removals.

Sounds like you've got a big project on your hands - best of luck with it!

I would never get rid of a chimney &, personally, I don’t think you can beat a real open fire. There are a lot of fire options now & it can be turned into a real feature of the room weather your into ultra modern or traditional, gas or solid fuel. I also have a 60’s property renovation in full swing at the moment & the present fire is a ghastly, multi-coloured York stone affair almost 15ft long but in no way would I remove it; get it right & it can be a very good selling point. Good luck with it ;)

if the chimney is on the wall between you+next door . you`ll need a party wall agreement. a legal undertaking. don`t start knocking out before you check it out :eek: I don`t know the details....only that it`s important ;)

Sponsored Links
Would we be correct in thinking that the fireplace can be to the side of the chimney
yes. the chimney at the top of the roof (ridge) is normally central to the building where as the fireplaces are in rooms to the front and back. so the chimney stacks have to be angled as they travel from ground floor to ridge.

removing the chimney is a big job and rooms without fireplaces loose much of their character (and selling value).

if you do intend to proceed then it's best to take out upto the loft (fit gallow brackets to the party wall in the loft and then remove the brickwork below down to ground). you need a structural engineer to advise on the support details in the loft. get a written party wall agreement from your neighbour. submit a building notice to your local building control office.

this really is a job for a builder and would recommend you don't diy unless your really up for a challenge. i think in doing the refurb there are much easier jobs you could diy and offset the cost (ie electrics & CH).

Thanks for the replies. It's not on a party wall so no problems there. Will be getting a structural engineer in to take a look at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back