Project- install garden water tap from cold water pipe inside loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi experts,

Im trying to install an garden water tap in my garden,

In theory, i have to put new T joint on cold water pipe inside loft.

I could not figure out which one is cold and hot pipe.

I tried to turn on cold tap from bathroom, meanwhile i was holding one of pipe from loft, i felt some water flow sounds and some coldness.

Would you suggest me how to find right cold water pipe inside loft please?

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links
Do you have cold water storage tank in loft ? If so follow the pipe that is supplying the ballcock at the top of the tank.
Can't you pick up a supply from ground floor ??

Hi Sir,

We dont have any tank, previous owner removed and put new combi boiler, so all pipes have been reconnected and some of old radiator pipes have been isolated or cutted.

Any suggestions?

So that's why you can't pick up a supply from the ground floor ?

Sponsored Links
1. Unless you live in a bungalow, running a pipe externally down the side of the property gives you a severe risk of freezing and pipe bursting in winter. Even in a bungalow it is a significant risk.
2. To install an outside tap you must have an isolation / service valve, a check valve, and a drain off point fitted internally to the property. The order should be (starting with the pipe supplying the water), isolation valve, check valve, pipe to outside, drain off point. Make sure the isolation valve is a full bore one.
3. The cold supply to your kitchen sink should be at mains pressure. This is the pipework from which outside taps are normally taken.
4. Don't use a self cutting tap to install, these are generally low flow, and there is a danger of the disc they cut out blocking another appliance as they remain within the pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back