project management

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
extension for bungalow

Can anyone give me an idea of the items i would need to include into a gantt chart that im preparing:

Items like, desgin team, risks, formulate programme of works, health and safety plan, materials, labour etc.

Im going to try to make this myself to save the cost of a project manager.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Err - the problem you have, and will find out in a very expensive way if you don't accept from the outset that you have it, is that if you don't know the answer to that question you don't know enough to do the job of project managing this work.

extension for bungalow

Can anyone give me an idea of the items i would need to include into a gantt chart that im preparing:

Items like, desgin team, risks, formulate programme of works, health and safety plan, materials, labour etc.
I think you are getting a little bit carried away. Gantt charts are very useful for small projects but you don't need all that tosh.

On the left goes tasks. On the top goes a calendar. You assign a duration to a task, then connect them up in order.

Basically lets you see where you stand. However, it is garbage in / garbage out. Also you need to keep it up to date. And don't let the chart drive the project, it is a mere tool, you are in charge, not the chart.

Sponsored Links
And they are done AFTER the project has been broken down into a series of activities, so if you don't know what activities are going to take place then you can't produce a chart.

And if you do know what activities are going to take place then you know what to put on your chart.

roofer - I fear you are labouring under the misapprehension that being able to use a project management tool will make you a project manager. It will no more do that than knowing how to use Microsoft Word will make you an author.

Aye a good Project Manager will pay for themselves, bit like a good accountant. Better off investing the time finding a really good PM. Have you never seen Property Ladder? :LOL:

A good builder can manage a project; provided he is seeing all the various trades through, has priced for them and is responsible for every stage.

I give a job lot quote for the building work, however the plumbing and electrics are contracted out.

I have my own (preferred) sparks and plumb/heat if the customer is happy to use them. Anyhoo, i work closely with these trades and make sure these boys are on hand when needed.

But, i only ever do one job at a time and can focus all my efforts into the project i am doing. I do scoff at the words 'project manager' because i feel it is an unnecessary expense, as far as my jobs are concerned.

I would wholly agree if the OP is planning on using a builder to do the lot, I assume though he is considering getting separate trades in.

assume though he is considering getting separate trades in.

In this instance a P.M. would be wise, provided he pulls his weight.

I can't help but get uncomfortable at the thought "money for old rope". I mean, who does the customer REALLY gripe to?

...usually the tradesman that is on hand at the time.

...and what is the worst thing that can happen to a P.M.?

....he gets sacked, then the customer gripes to the tradesman that is on hand at the time.

What i am really saying is: What is a P.M.? Do they have any clout or do they just do a runner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back