single storey extension Project managing myself?

is this doable?

Just putting a few feelers out really to see if this is acheaviable on the budget I have as no idea on material costings etc.

Any advice?

It depends on your attitude to work more than anything. You won't get it in at 16k by surfing eBay and drawing project plans in Excel, but actually doing most of the work yourself might. I DIY'd a 5M by 3M two storey extension with a cut roof and it came in at about your budget, so it's definitely possible, and there's enough knowledge in this forum to get you through most things. As Noseall says, you have to take your time sourcing and be prepared to inconvenience yourself to get the best prices, and hope that you have a very understanding other half as you make her live in wet/dusty/cold hell for 18 months. Bear in mind that it's a lot of effort and it's not really a 16k extension, it's just that you're not counting the 25 hours a week you'll put in to it over 18 months :) I needed help with 4 man days bricklaying, 2 man days plastering, around 2 man days electrical, and about 10 man days advice from this site!

Sponsored Links
If you are doing a considerable amount of work then open a CASH account with the local suppliers. That way you get a reasonably good discount on most goods that you buy. You pay cash or card at the trade counter. They will not do any credit checks on you so you can in most cases open the account over the counter provided you can convince them you are doing a reasonable project and not just random DIY bits and pieces.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back