single storey extension Project managing myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is this doable?

Got plans and approval from council to build a single storey extension on to the the kitchen out onto he garden which will be turned into a living room and the living room a kitchen.

Is 3.8 meters out by 5.6 meters across with rear access, pitched roof with sky lights and French doors.

Now been getting a few quotes and they are all coming in around 23-25k just for a water tight shell. No alterations to electrics, plumbing or plastering etc.

I'm a plumber/gas fitter by trade and have picked up a few things over the years.

Has anyone managed to project manage a build themselves? We got a budget of around 16k.

Reckon I could dig the foundations by hand myself looking at the plans need to be 1200 deep by 600 wide.

Then maybe source my own bricklayers etc.

Just putting a few feelers out really to see if this is acheaviable on the budget I have as no idea on material costings etc.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
My feeling is you're putting yourself in for a lot of hassle and things will be slow. I think going on gut feeling would be a good idea. If you've plenty of time and patience maybe it's worth a go!

Unless you already know reliable, knowledgeable trades who don't charge the earth, then it can be more costly procuring individual trades - in terms of money and time and hassle.

You do need to cost and plan this all up before deciding. But if money is the main factor, then that does make the options down quite a bit.

Could you not save 200mm off the foundations straight away? That seems an odd depth.

Have you considered the electrics? Isn't most of that going to be notifiable due to moving the kitchen?

I can't see how you could make a lounge a kitchen without gas / electric work? At the every least you'll need an extractor.

You could make the brick work faster and cheaper buy using a thin joint system. I've used it before and its a lot easier to build.

Sponsored Links
Have you considered the electrics? Isn't most of that going to be notifiable due to moving the kitchen?

I can't see how you could make a lounge a kitchen without gas / electric work? At the every least you'll need an extractor.

You could make the brick work faster and cheaper buy using a thin joint system. I've used it before and its a lot easier to build.

Not an issue swapping the rooms around as gas meter is already in living room, extraction fan is not a issue and getting plumbing and waste in not a problem.

Definitely wouldn't be able to do the brick work obviously but fairly confident could dig out foundations and arrange to have them filled and get the building control to check over.

Just wanted to get an idea how much would I really save on doing these bits myself.

Best mate is a spark. I'll be doing the plumbing and drainage just really the brick work, roof and floor that would need to get other trade in.

Main goal is to get a watertight structure up. Then can slowly progress from there.

23k for a bare shell is just nuts!
building a shell is hardly a rocketscience, I have built a house from groundup and building the shell is one of the cheapest parts there is when you look only at the building materials,however it's a very very tiring work due to the weights you will carry around , however since it's a small single storey extension it will be **** easy!

material wise if you were to do it yourself I reckon you could do it for probably 15-20% of your quotes depending on where you source your materials (however you haven't told us exactly what's the plan for the shell is and how expensive you want to go)

I designed one of a very similar size recently, also no complicated plumbing or electrics. Cheapest quote came in at around £32000 finished.

I calculated the materials cost to be around £12000 (included a large bifold) so Stuart is right when he says you will be doing most of the work yourself if you have a budget of £16000.

material wise if you were to do it yourself I reckon you could do it for probably 15-20% of your quotes depending on where you source your materials (however you haven't told us exactly what's the plan for the shell is and how expensive you want to go)
I'm not sure where anyone is going to source the materials for an extension that size for £4600 (or less), unless they have some very good contacts in the building supplies game...

I'm not sure where anyone is going to source the materials for an extension that size for £4600 (or less), unless they have some very good contacts in the building supplies game...
Some people actually think it is fun spending days and days messing about sourcing (varying degrees of quality) materials from all kinds of obscure internet sites. If you are prepared to build a 15m² extension over a period of say 20 years, then you can build it for a pittance. Joy.
My customers want 15m² single storey extensions built swiftly. If we haven't got them plastered out and ready for a coat of paint in 6 weeks then we are slacking.

Some people actually think it is fun spending days and days messing about sourcing (varying degrees of quality) materials from all kinds of obscure internet sites. If you are prepared to build a 15m² extension over a period of say 20 years, then you can build it for a pittance. Joy.
My customers want 15m² single storey extensions built swiftly. If we haven't got them plastered out and ready for a coat of paint in 6 weeks then we are slacking.
Yeah, by "good contacts" I mean a mate at Jewson's who will say "If you bring your van round the back around 9 oclock tonight I'll throw a load of stuff over the fence for you..."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back