Projector set up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently managed to convert the garage into an extra room and am thinking about setting up a home cinema in there with a projector.

I'm hoping my wife will let me go out and buy one of these: https://www.richersounds.com/tv-pro...nq-3d-ready-dlp-projector-1080p-hd-ready.html

which I'd like to hang from the ceiling.

I realise I'll have to have a plug socket near the projector, but the bit I need to know about is how to take the signal from my tv receiver box/computer/PS4 to the projector. Is this usually done by extra long HDMI cables? In the set ups I've seen so far, the signal source is usually on the floor under the screen - 5 or 10 metres of cable run from the projector.

Could anyone here please advise?

TIA

Jever

Sponsored Links
I build home cinemas for a living, so you're getting this from the horses mouth.

Every dedicated cinema room needs an audio system. If you're going to the expense and effort of installing a projector then you really should be thinking about the sound system too. If you have been to Richers then you might have seen the AV Receivers from Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo Sony etc. These have multiple HDMI inputs as well as some analogue video inputs for legacy gear.

All the source signals go in to the AV receiver first, and that acts as the video switch. You then have one cable going to the projector.

Computer signals may need to be handled separately. The HDMI standards don't cover all of the resolution variations that you might want to run at in order to have high frame rate rendering. It very much depends if you're a high-end gamer playing Crysis, Project Cars or Assasin's Creed, or if you're just into midrange games that'll play happily on a 1080p TV at 60fps. The other element in gaming is sound. The amp will have HDMI audio decoding and the ability to handle Optical and Coax audio connections. If using high fps video rendering then you'll need a HDMI connection direct to the projector for picture, in which case use Optical for sound from the motherboard. Optical is less prone to picking up the RFI noise (interference) that most PCs kick out from the power supplies and microcontroller cards. Optical and Coax max out at DD5.1 and DTS6.1 audio. They won't do Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio which are the Blu-ray audio formats of choice for high quality sound.

You might be tempted to look at PC speakers as a cheap alternative. They'll give you sound but it's a very compromised solution. They have no internal audio decoding, so if you connect connect stereo phono then you'll only get sound from the front two speakers and sub. Logitec's Z906 is about as accomplished as PC speakers get. It does have optical and coax inputs, but not enough to handle all your source connections and it maxes out at DD/DTS. For the cost (£250-£300) you're much better off tipping in the extra £100 or so and getting a full AV surround package. It would be far more future-proofed and you won't end up wasting money on lots of long HDMI cables or HDMI switches and separate Optical switches which would make the system a nightmare to operate.

If you're looking to keep the spend to a minimum after the cost of doing the building work then I'd strongly recommend second-had gear as a good stop gap. In fact, yoiu could get much better performance for a fraction of the spend on new. Message me if you're interested in more info.

Hi Lucid,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, some of which I'm still absorbing.

I agree I will need a sound system, I just hadn't got that far. If I understand you correctly, all of the source outputs (i.e. tv digital receiver box, PS4, satellite box) will go into the back of the AV receiver and there is then one feed from the AV receiver to the projector. All of these connections, I assume, will be done by HDMI cable, is that right?

Assuming the connection between that AV receiver and the projector is HDMI, would it not be possible to connect them with one of these:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-wireless-hdmi-video-transmitter/

or is there a timing/lag problem with these?

I do enjoy the odd game of Project Cars, but I don't see myself as a serious gamer, so maybe I don't really need top spec kit, but I would like a good system, otherwise I'm not sure it's going to be worth all the effort.

If I understand you correctly, to have a full sound system, I'll need the AV receiver and speakers to go with it. Will that cover everything? I currently have a plasma tv with a sound bar and woofer box. The sound from that's pretty good, will I need to go for a 5.1 set up with the AV receiver?

If you could give me a rough guide as to what a reasonable sound system would cost, that would be very helpful (you're welcome to message me off board if you prefer).

Regards

Jever

or is there a timing/lag problem with these?
There is no lag, but the problem is that they require a perfect wireless signal to operate properly.
Any tiny amount of insignificant interference will show up as a corrupted image/sound instantly.

A cable is cheaper and vastly superior to any wireless shenanigans.

Sponsored Links
Taking the points in the order you raised them:

1) I agree I will need a sound system, I just hadn't got that far. If I understand you correctly, all of the source outputs (i.e. tv digital receiver box, PS4, satellite box) will go into the back of the AV receiver and there is then one feed from the AV receiver to the projector. All of these connections, I assume, will be done by HDMI cable, is that right?

2) Assuming the connection between that AV receiver and the projector is HDMI, would it not be possible to connect them with one of these:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-wireless-hdmi-video-transmitter/ or is there a timing/lag problem with these?

3) I do enjoy the odd game of Project Cars, but I don't see myself as a serious gamer, so maybe I don't really need top spec kit, but I would like a good system, otherwise I'm not sure it's going to be worth all the effort.

4) If I understand you correctly, to have a full sound system, I'll need the AV receiver and speakers to go with it. Will that cover everything? I currently have a plasma tv with a sound bar and woofer box. The sound from that's pretty good, will I need to go for a 5.1 set up with the AV receiver?

5) If you could give me a rough guide as to what a reasonable sound system would cost, that would be very helpful (you're welcome to message me off board if you prefer).

1) Yeah, you got the hang of it. It's not difficult to follow the basic idea.

Most of your sources will have HDMI out as standard. You might have some legacy sources on basic video (composite; the yellow phono - though the colour is irrelevant to the function), S-video (small round connector with 4 metal pins) or Component (3x phonos: red, green blue). If you have and you want to play them through the system then let me know because it changes either the wiring or the type of AV Receiver you need.

2) I can't see a good reason to waste £200-£250 on a wireless link when (a) you're going to have to lift flooring or cut in to the ceiling to run power anyway. Just run the HDMI cable, it's simpler and will just work. End of. (b) You're opening yourself up to connection and compatibility problems that you really don't want in any install, let alone one where you're watching the pennies. (c) You're watching the pennies. If you have £200 to throw away put it somewhere it's going to make a BIG difference to your system - the speakers. Oh, don't forget, you also need a projection screen; and no, the white painted wall really won't do.

3) Sorry to burst your bubble but trust me, you're about a million miles away from anything remotely close to high-end.

A £500 Benq is about the least amount of money it's possible to spend on a projector that can call itself a home cinema model. The projector market goes up to £90,000+ for the higher-end Sim2 and Digital Projection brand models. Yep, that's just the projector - no screen, no bracket, no cables, nothing. High-end starts at around £10K. You're not even out of budget territory by £2K. For audio electronics you could quite easily spend anything up to £4,000 on an integrated AV Receiver, and if you go for a pre/power separates combo then you could knock on the door of £50,000 with some brands without breaking a sweat. Speakers is the same story.

None of that means you can't have a great system that will put a huge smile on yours and and your family's faces. Just don't think that you're spending a king's ransom to do it. When you're already on the bottom rung of the ladder, the next step down means abandoning the project.

4 & 5) What we are looking at potentially here is very much a starter system. £500 projector, say £200 for a frame screen, £30 for a projector bracket, and then a sound system - the spec of which depends on what you need it to do besides decode audio and amplify it. You'll need speaker cable, a subwoofer lead and some HDMI interconnects as well as the long one for the ceiling.

On the sound system then you have the AV receiver and the speakers. If this can get by with just HDMI inputs and basic video processing then the entry-level products are the £349 Yamaha YHT-1810 and the £399 Pioneer HTP075 amp and 5.1 speaker kits. However, I'd pass those ones over because they both have passive subs. If you come to upgrade on the speakers - which would be the biggest improvement - the kit speakers with each system have very little real value on their own because they need a special version of an AV receiver to drive the sub. Proper home cinema subs have their own built-in amp and so the AV receivers don't have speaker outputs for the sub; the connection is on a phono lead.

What I'd go for instead for a budget solution is a mix and match package of the JBL Cinema 510 speaker kit (£199) or the Canton 75 speaker kit (£279) with the Yamaha RX-V489 at £329. That gives a combined price of £528 ~ £608. Add in speaker cable, a sub lead and HDMI cables and the total audio budget would come in at roughly £600~£680. This would stomp over any soundbar under £1000 and provide some great surround effects.

If music was important, or the above stretched the budget too far, then I'd go second-hand, but if possible I'd up the performance at the same time by choosing an older AV amp - something that would have cost £800-£1000 originally - and partner it with bookshelf speakers and a decent sub. At this level there wouldn't be a huge saving, maybe £100-£150 depending on the speakers, but it would rock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back