Proline PC223A fridge/freezer - fridge warmer at top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have quite an old (must be 10+ years) Proline PC223A fridge/freezer - fridge on top, freezer below.

It has worked pretty well over the years. The freezer still works fine but the fridge is getting a bit temperamental.

A month or so ago it was freezing stuff in the crisper drawer so we turned the temp gauge right down to 1. Then in the recent hot weather the fridge has been hardly cold at all. Now turned up to 7 and the stuff in the crisper, the lowest shelf and the door is moderately cold (but nowhere near what '7' should produce, even in hot weather). The stuff on the top shelves is only slightly cold (colder than room temp but only marginally chilled). Sorry, we don't have a fridge thermometer to give an accurate reading.

I defrosted the freezer yesterday, and have cleaned the dust off the compressor, and cleaned the floor from dust/debris. There don't appear to be any visible coils either underneath or at the back of the unit so I assume they are built in to the unit somewhere. The door seals seem intact (at least there is moderate resistance to pulling out a piece of paper from the closed door, at various points).

When I open the fridge door I feel cold air coming out. The only thing is that there is a spot at the back of the fridge, about a third of the way up, just above the top of the drain channel on the left, which readily forms a clump of ice.

As this is an old model and I can't find the precise manual online, I don't know where there may be ventilation holes, drainage holes or anything else that could be restricting air flow. It may well be that the thermostat is no longer functioning.

Anyone know about this model and what else might be worth checking? Given its age it's probably not far off needing replacement, but if we could help it hang on just a bit longer it would be great. :)

Sponsored Links
if its a frost free you need to defrost for 24 hours to let ice melt in the void behind

Thanks,

Is there any way I can easily find out if it's a frost-free model? From searching other Proline models with available manuals, they often have "FF" in the model number if that is so — this is an A.

The only other model I can find with a manual is the PC226A. This looks to be of similar design. It says the evaporators are between each freezer drawer, under the shelf. Is this usual? I don't think the PC226A is a frost-free one so I am thinking the PC223A isn't either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back