"Proper" sauna in the UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

First post and all - the search didn't yield the results I was hoping for...

I'm looking to convert one of my spare bedrooms into a proper wet room and sauna. For the sauna, I was hoping to install a "Monolith Electric Heater 6.9 kW" by Iki-kiuas. The typical installation in Finland would have all three phases (each with a ten amp fuse) serving the stove - 400 kV. See page 11 of this document for wiring instructions: http://www.ikikiuas.fi/media/305682/ikikiuas_ohjeet_kiintealla_ohjauksella_low.pdf

Here in the UK we only get single phase electricity into domestic properties. That said, would it be possible to run one of these stoves off the usual supply in the UK? What would be involved in this? Would connecting to a single phase supply (much the same way as electric ovens that are normally connected to 3 phase supply on the continent are connected in the UK) have implications to (i) performance [i.e. heating times] and (ii) the resillience of the unit [i.e. would it wear off sooner]?

While I'm at it, I was thinking of having the whole house rewired. And that would give me an opportunity to get three phase supply into the house. Would that be worth the extra cost and complications involved? My thinking is that in addition to getting the sauna properly supplied, it would further future proof the house for potential heat pumps (either air or ground) going forward?

Thanks in advance for your views!

Sponsored Links
serving the stove - 400 kV. See page 11
That's obviously a mistake but there's nothing similar on page 11.

What did you mean?

Apologies: the "circuit connector diagram" that appears on page 11 of the pdf (at least on my reader). The page number (as shown on the page is 9). As it says, power input is 3 * 400 V (obvious mistake earlier!), N, PE.

Thanks for looking into this though!

Well, according to the diagram the elements are 400V so would only be about one third the power at 240V therefore it would seem a three-phase supply is required.

It's expensive.

Sponsored Links
Just to say, or ask, are there no 240V ones out there?

If so, It would be no more than a large electric shower, assuming you have enough spare capacity in the supply.

The diagram on page 11 shows 3 elements, each connected between one phase and neutral, so they are 230V elements.
No problem in connecting to a single phase supply.

There is little point investigating 3 phase for a domestic property, since the installation cost will be huge, and it may not even be available at all.

Just to say, or ask, are there no 240V ones out there? If so, It would be no more than a large electric shower, assuming you have enough spare capacity in the supply.
Large? Do they make electric showers as low as 6.9 kW? I think the smallest I've seen are usually called 7.5 kW.

Kind Regards, John

no more than a large electric shower
Less than a large electric shower. Is that better?
A bit better, yes. "No more than (or less than) a small electric shower" would probably be even better.
The difference is what?
That should be self-evident. ''Less than 7.5' (or even 'No more than 7.5')is obviously appreciably lower than 'no more than 10.5' - and that could be of importance to the OP.

As the MI says, it only requires 30A worth of OPD - so, at worst, it is equivalent to the smallest of showers. I'm not being pedantic - I genuinely don't think that your original wording conveyed that.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back