Proposed sink proximity to combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am sorting my zonally challenged bathroom, the more learned of you may notice certain issues..

That bath is coming out, new bath position rotated 90% to to run along left wall with taps at exernal wall end, to left of window. With shower screen.

The waste water outlet is below that window.

Can I put a small sink in that deep window cill if I build a cupboard around the combi?

Thank you

Attachments

• P_20201120_151802.jpg
    P_20201120_151802.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can I put a small sink in that deep window cill if I build a cupboard around the combi? Thank you
In terms of electrical regulations, sinks don't come into the equation, although common sense should be exercised.

As you presumably know, any 'switches' (e.g. an FCU) associated with the combi must be 'out of zones', hence at least 600mm horizontally from bath. Whether building a cupboard around the combi would change that is something about which opinions would probably vary!

Kind Regards, John

Thank you John,

The FCU is to the right of the combi, well out of the way.

The olde fuse board has been replaced with an RCD protected CU, in the kitchen.

I was under the impression that sinks were subject to to proximity zoning regs?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thank you John, The FCU is to the right if the combi, well out the way.
That sounds fine, then.
The olde fuse board has been replaced with an RCD protected CU, in the kitchen.
Also good. The regs require that all circuits supplying (or even 'passing through') a bathroom should be RCD protected ... and the RCD protection almost certainly means that 'supplementary bonding' will not be required in the bathroom.
I was under the impression that sinks were subject to to proximity zoning regs?
That's what an awful lot of (incorrect) diagrams knocking around on the web seem to think but it's just plain wrong. The bathroom 'zones' (as relevant to regs) are concerned only about proximity to baths and showers, NOT basins/sinks, bidets, toilets etc. However, as I said, one hopes that common sense will be exercised, since electricity in proximity to water is never a brilliant idea, even if the regs don't forbid it!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back