Propping up brick columns to make way for steel beam??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would anyone know what type of steel etc I would need to support the columns at either side of my house when I put in the red marked one for my extension?

I am removing the front wall to make a single storey extension and dont want the columns in the house getting in the way. On the ground floor I would like to get them knocked out but I need to support the brickwork above where it is pink I would say or maybe even above the new beam??. The red bit is clearly the choice for a standard lintel but how do I widen the load bearing areas of the corner columns at either end? The kitchen wall is roughly in line with the guttering but there is a clear column in the corner of the kitchen and what will be the toilet on the right where the old porch is.

Any ideas chaps??

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes mate up to just below the windows with those horrible tiles removed.

I was thinking two short steel sections width ways over the main beam? The front wall is only single skin internal with that tile cladding so only single skin beam req. Cheers

Two beams side by side then box them in.
Is it wise to chop into the pillars and Have you consulted an SE?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back