Pros and cons ref. siphon or flap vave in WC cistern?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the pros and cons ref siphon or flap valve in a WC cistern?

Sponsored Links
syphons wear out annoyingly

flaps are quiet and give a good flow. Some people say they leak when they wear out, so see if there is a spare washer you can buy when you fit it, to save having to take it out again.

If the flushing handle is on the front of the cistern you can use it again, if the handle is on the end you need the flapper with a push button.

They both wear out in the end. This is in common with everything else that has moving parts. When a syphon wears out it stops passing water, when a flap valve wears out, it leaks nd costs you money if you are on a meter. The leak may not be noticed but will still increase your water bill.

Sponsored Links
i have found that drop valves (push button) after a while dont give a very good / clean flush. and siphons are like;y to be longer lasting. also with a b & q push button (the type with the plastic leve linking the valve to the button ) you can fit these on any toilet - remove the old handle connection if changing for an old siphon type.

i agree they leak when they wear somehow! my sister had a constant dribble into her pan and it was like it for weeks until she realised!! what a waste of water ! like a tap constantly running!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back