replacing wc siphon

Sponsored Links
Bumping a old thread here...

When fitting a new replacment siphon what kind of sealant - if any - is required and how should it be applied?

I notice my old one has a bit of sealant (or something) around the edge where the siphon joins the down pipe (on the inside of the cistern I mean, actually in contact with the water).

I presume this is a must to prevent leaks?

TIA

Isolate cold water feed.
Empty cistern.
Undo water and overflow pipes from cistern bottom or side(as appropriate).
Undo 2 wingnuts holding cistern to pan (under back of pan).
Undo 2 screws holding cistern to wall..
Lift off cistern.
Remove large rubber donut washer from bottom of cistern.
Undo nut holding syphon.
Replace syphon with rubber washers inside and outside and tighten nut.
Then reverse above process to complete.

Sponsored Links
JPC wrote
unless its a two part syphon

How long have these been on the go? I assumed that they are like the conventional ones with the flap being accessible by dismantling from above. Do they use the same type of flap arrangement with tears being the main problem?

Thanks JPC

However if original poster wants to replace his syphon with one of these (or fany other type) he still has to take the long way round this time.

If close coupled, I would also renew the donut washer to save leaks. Some times it's worth replacing the plate, bolts, and wing nuts as well.

They always go rusty, wonder why?

Thanks for that Jobloggs.

I'll see how it works out and as beermatt3 says I might as well replace the nut and screws.

It's not a two part siphon as JPC suggests.

Thanks again all.

Londoner said:
I see. No sealant should be required. Thanks.
I don't think anyone said that. You need to start a new topic as you're hijacking this one.

beermatt3 said:
If close coupled, I would also renew the donut washer to save leaks. Some times it's worth replacing the plate, bolts, and wing nuts as well.

They always go rusty, wonder why?
Sometimes leaks, but usually condensation.

Softus said:
Londoner said:
I don't think anyone said that. You need to start a new topic as you're hijacking this one.

Sorry - I just thought as I'm asking a very similar question it would be better to 'recycle' an existing thread. Other messagebaords seem to encourage this, I dunno.

Are you saying I should use some kind of sealant on the inside when fitting a new siphon?

Londoner said:
Softus said:
Londoner said:

Sorry - I just thought as I'm asking a very similar question it would be better to 'recycle' an existing thread. Other messagebaords seem to encourage this, I dunno.

Are you saying I should use some kind of sealant on the inside when fitting a new siphon?
I didn't say that. I said that you need to start a new topic as you're hijacking this one. How can you say sorry and then continue doing it?!

This is a forum rule, and there are very good reasons behind it.

Hi guys, sorry to dig up an old one for my first post, but I'm attempting this and have been for the last couple of hours. Problem is that the wingnuts holding on the cistern to the pan are rusted like mad. I've tried WD40 and even using a wire brush to rub away the rust but it's still no good!! Any tips?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back