Protecting copper mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm rationalising some pipework. Under the house new blue mains is connected to some 15mm copper, which then turns up into the house through the kitchen floor.

At the moment it's kind of suspended in mid air, with all the weight on a 90 deg compression elbow. I'm going to cut that off and solder new copper on to the existing, and use a bend to make the turn. And add enough copper so that it comes up into the house at a more sensible point.

Questions:

1. Given that heat will travel along the pipe, how close can I solder to the blue plastic? Or would I better using pushfit.

2. To remove any strain I was just going to lay the copper on the ground. It's the usual sub floor mess of old bricks, dust, dead mice etc. etc. Though I think there might be concrete blinding under there somewhere. Should I protect the copper? Denso tape? Insulation?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm rationalising some pipework. Under the house new blue mains is connected to some 15mm copper, which then turns up into the house through the kitchen floor.

At the moment it's kind of suspended in mid air, with all the weight on a 90 deg compression elbow. I'm going to cut that off and solder new copper on to the existing, and use a bend to make the turn. And add enough copper so that it comes up into the house at a more sensible point.

Questions:

1. Given that heat will travel along the pipe, how close can I solder to the blue plastic? Or would I better using pdushfit.

2. To remove any strain I was just going to lay the copper on the ground. It's the usual sub floor mess of old bricks, dust, dead mice etc. etc. Though I think there might be concrete blinding under there somewhere. Should I protect the copper? Denso tape? Ins
Thanks.

I would use lagging on the copper if its going to be touching the concret it's very cheap and effective

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back