Protecting garden furniture

Sponsored Links
It's softwood.

The words "battle" and "losing" come to mind.

The best of a sorry bunch of inadequate alternatives would be to oil it.

When it rots away, replace it with a hardwood one.

It's softwood.

Thanks. not what i wanted to hear having just bought it but cant help it if i dont know much about wood!. hopefully it will last couple of years at least!

To oil it, i need to remove existing clear paint right?

It's softwood.

My neighbour was throwing away an old set of 8 softwood garden chairs, and a table. I rescued them, jet washed them and wasted my time by painting some expensive stuff from a DIY shed on them. They served us OK for a year; one by one the chairs collapsed (on one occasion depositing me on the grass, on another, the GF's father). As each one collapsed it was cut up and used in the stove. Within 2 years all the chairs had gone, followed by the table. Nothing wasted ;)

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Moral of the story: spend a little bit more on quality wood the first time around, and you'll end up saving in the long run because the furniture won't need replacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back