Protecting tools from rust in the garage/greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed some of my shears etc have started to rust over winter.

How should I be caring for shears, loppers and pruning saws after use?
I get the impression a thin coating of some oil or grease is the best protection, I'd that so and if so, what's your go to product?

Sponsored Links
you can rub over with an oily rag (wear gloves). If altready rusty or dirty, clean up first with wire wool or a green nylon scourer if light. You can use a wire brush if heavy, but not on plated metal.

Many people use WD40, but I don't know how long it lasts before it oxidises. It's very thin. Some people use vaseline, and I once had a tin of ex-navy Lanolin, which is great, but very sticky and difficult to clean off.

Covering your tools also helps. Partly protecting them from condensation, but also from corrosive dust, grit and pollution settling out of the air. A tool box or cupboard will do it, even a cardboard box (off the ground) with the lid closed. I once stripped the paint off a steel car, left part of it unpainted when the weather turned, but had left a rag on it. When I went back, the part under the rag was bright but the rest was orange with rust film.

In my shed I now put stuff in those plastic storage crates with the snap-on lids. Translucent so you can see what's inside.

I use liberon lubricating wax on all my ferrous tools. I last coated my band saw table which is cast, last spring and it's showing no sign of rust yet.

Attachments

• 600221_xl.jpg
    600221_xl.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 166
I saw you can buy spray able 3in1 oil. Knowing my laziness, spray is a huge bonus if it'll work? I was reading about a gun oil recommended in the USA, I can't find it again though!

Sponsored Links
For long term (winter) storage Cosmoline Rust Veto used to be the best stuff - it's been used by gun manufacturers and engineering firms for decades - but it's all but impossible to get in the UK any longer (I'm told that manufacture ceased). The best equivalent I know of is Brownell's Rust Veto. It can be a bugger to get off when it's very old, though. Cheaper if less durable is linseed oil which has been used by tradesmen for generations. Lastly for edge tool storage you can get Japanese camellia oil in the UK these days

wrap a slightly oily rag around them too, this may aid preventing moisture getting on them.

I've yet to reach the stage of life I own any rags! I shall make some I think but what is best... An old sheet, a t shirt or something like a soft cleaning cloth?

vests (or t shirts) are ideal. Soft cotton that will hold oil. You can cut them up if you have a preferred rag size. If you cut along the seams with scissors they will be more manageable. The cotton is knitted not woven so does not tear well.

If you haven't got any, you can buy a centre-feed roll of paper towel. The green is hard-wearing and coarse. White is intended for hands and is weak and soft so it falls apart and leaves fluff.

The method of use is to leave it in the plastic wrapping so it stays clean; cut open one end; pull out the carboard tube from the middle (you may have to tear or cut it) and pull the towel you need out of the middle.

Don't try to pull it off the outside like a bog roll.

or Napier VP90 it's also a rust inhibitor, must be used in an enclosed space (I.e fairly air tight) a'int cheap though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back