Tool Oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been putting a thin layer of oil on my plasterer's hawk, my pointing trowel, filling knife etc etc after washing and drying them. The oil was in a very old container which has rusted up so I don't know the name.

Can you get "Tool Oil"? Is that what I need?

Sponsored Links
For protecting tools from corrosion I use a thick gear oil, EP90 or above. I use this regularly on things like lathe tools and the bright parts of equipment like slideways but also on garden tools like trowels and hand forks. With concreting and plastering tools they need to be really clean and dry before applying the oil because concrete and plaster seem to be more corrosive than moisture in the air is. For protecting your clothing I recommend placing the tool in a soft polythene bag after applying the oil.

Thank you.

Sorry I have been tardy about replying, nothing came through on my email about someone replying, and so I know I might be replying to an old post, but it goes against everything I know not to say thank you!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
you are a rare and appreciated character indeed on this forum. so few take the time to say thank you. a satisfied customer did you hear that sybil.....perhaps we should have him stuffed and put on the mantlepiece!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back