Pruning old ornamental cherry tree

Sponsored Links
Yeh, a tree surgeon!

Just remove and dead, diseased branches, plus any branches that grow off in a wierd direction, or that rub against up against other branches. Might want to put down some fertiliser on the ground around the tree as well, and water during extended dry periods.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/Gardennotes/612.html

Whether you can stop it dieing depends on what is causing it to die. Pruning isn't a cure-all. Why do you think it's dieing?

I have had this from a small sapling and is now nearly 30 years old, in all honesty I don't think it has ever been pruned. I have just cut off a load of dead branches but I dont know how far to go with it so it can regrow. As you my see in the photos there is still a lit of dead wood on it. If I were to cut it all off there would not be much left. It seems to give a fairly good canopy when it is in leaf and I am worried it will lose this if i cut it back to just a few branches that are still alive and not just brown wood.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately these type of cherries just dont prune well. They really are designed as a small tree that doesn't need major pruning.

I have seen a number in clients gardens that just never really recovered and re-grew properly.

If you do try it be gently and try feeding and watering it afterwards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back