PRV activating intermittently - No water from filling loop !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, thanks to anyone who replies.

My boiler is a Worcester 35CDi, combi.

The problem I have, is when you run the cold tap, the PRV activates, spewing water out of the vent pipe and making a loud vibrating noise - This doesn't happen every time, but when it does, you can stop it by, turning the tap off and on again !!!

The system pressure doesn't alter at all, sits at just below 3bar. But also the filling loop doesn't do anything at all when you open the tap.

Although I said this is a problem, it doesn't seem to be affecting my heating or hot water, but is bugging the hell out of me. Any suggestions welcome. I am no plumber by the way !! So please keep the technical jargon to a minimum or I will be lost !!!!

Sponsored Links
Hi.

If you check your manufacturers instructions it will say that the system pressure should be set at 1mbar.
So if your guage is at 3 then the pressure is way too high.
Have you got a charging key to increase the pressure in the system, and if you have, have you removed it?
You can release pressure in the system by letting a small amount of water out of a radiator with a bleed key.
Try resetting the pressure at just above 1mbar when the system is cold.

Andy.

Thanks Andy,

I will try to reduce the pressure and see what happens ? Why is my filling loop tap not doing anything ??

I have removed radiators in the past for decorating and always been able to refill using the filling loop, but now I get nothing at all !!

Why is my filling loop tap not doing anything ??

Probably because you system pressure is higher than the mains pressure.

You really need to lower it to 1.2 bar with the system cold.

Sponsored Links
Hi.

If you check your manufacturers instructions it will say that the system pressure should be set at 1mbar.
So if your guage is at 3 then the pressure is way too high.
Have you got a charging key to increase the pressure in the system, and if you have, have you removed it?
You can release pressure in the system by letting a small amount of water out of a radiator with a bleed key.
Try resetting the pressure at just above 1mbar when the system is cold.

Andy.

I think that Andy means 1 Bar rather than 1 mB !

It sounds as if you are using an old seperate filling loop rather than the built in one that Andy thinks your model has on the underside.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back