PS/2 to USB Keyboard convertor and / key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Is the keyboard a UK keyboard, and is the device setting "UK keyboard"?

It could possibly be a keyboard mapping issue, rather than a key not working?
If you press '#' ' " ' '@', or '£', what output do you get?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear! :(
Buried in the description!:
"Please note that when you use this adapter you will not be able to use the key \| this key will not work"
:oops:

Humm. I think they must have updated that, based on feedback I left.

good they have done it.

I guess I need to buy another one.
A black one or a transparent blue one.
Was checking if it was something I was missing.

All I would add, if your keyboard is just a standard keyboard, it may be time to replace it!
If your keyboard is a beautiful old mechanical IBM keyboard...persevere! ;)

Yeah. I concluded that too.
A new cherry usb keyboard arrived yesterday. The \ key works.
The buttons are a tad on the firm side, though may wear in. The shift key could annoy me though.

So I thought I would go back looking for adaptors for my also newish ps2 soft key board.

On the plus side, at least they have all the keys, unlike some modern Dell ones I have seen. (Functions keys merged like a laptop)

Well I managed to get a convertor off eBay for £4.10 that works.

The explorer keys work too. Back forward calculator etc

Well my new convertor won't allow me to do Alt PrintScreen

Thankfully I had ordered and received a nice and cheap USB keyboard (with volume and media controls ) so using that now.

I couldn't help myself but order another type of PS2 adaptor so will see what it does :whistle:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-...=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

So I purchased one of these blue lump convertors.
There are lots of negative reviews on Amazon complaining how flimsy it is and rust. Mine was a bit rusty too.

the initial impressions of the electronics :

\ key works
Alt prn screen works
Internet keys works
May even work with barcode reader

yes the body isnt good. Clashes with other laptop ports and is too high.

I plan to use it off a short usb extension to get round these problems

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Noticed that once or twice this device appears to latch down a key!

twice today

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

@AndyPRK what was the £4.10 converter (from ebay, that the Alt PrintScreen doesn't work) that you tried?

I'm having the same pain! I bought one of the blue things a while ago, but it fell apart, mainly because I had to jam it in between adjacent ports on the KVM coz it's too wide.

I recently bought one of the beige Y-cable adaptors - without carefully reading the description about the backslash/pipe key not working (or the media keys, but could live without those) - I quickly discovered that myself!

Neither KeyTweak or SharpKeys could fix that because it just doesn't generate any scancodes for those keys.

Further searching brought me here...

I may just tape the blue thing up again and get a short USB extender instead!

Sponsored Links
Back