PSA - up, down, up down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my appointed call from urology, in regard to the blood test I had, to check my PSA level last week....

It's down to 4.1. My first check was 8, second 4, third 12, now 4.1, with a couple of digital exams, and a couple of MRI scans in the three or so years, since they first expressed concerns. Ideally, they expect values of PSA, below 2.9. What the experts have decided, is that the up and down values, suggest simple inflammation. Did I have any symptoms? - none whatsoever I was aware of.

They want now to limit it to annual checks of PSA values, via blood test.

Sponsored Links
Prodding and poking at it increases the PSA, so I hope they took that into account.

I had a lot of prodding and poking from both directions :oops: then got sent for a blood test. The consultant rang me up and really worried me, saying my PSA level was sky-high.

When I explained I'd been prodded to the moon and back, he was aghast that the prodder didn't know that it raised the PSA level in the proddee and I should not have had a PSA test soon after.

I had a lot of prodding and poking from both directions :oops: then got sent for a blood test. The consultant rang me up and really worried me, saying my PSA level was sky-high.

When I explained I'd been prodded to the moon and back, he was aghast that the prodder didn't know that it raised the level and I should not have had a PSA test soon after.

Too much information, Freddie Mercury :eek:

If they suspect inflammation is effecting the blood readings they can prescribe anti biotics that need taking for 6 weeks

Sponsored Links
When I explained I'd been prodded to the moon and back, he was aghast that the prodder didn't know that it raised the PSA level in the proddee and I should not have had a PSA test soon after.

No, the 'prodding' each time, came after the bloods for PSA were taken.

I must admit, when they first mentioned a heightened PSA, those years ago - I was very worried.

Now I have to work out what 'inflamed' might mean..

No, the 'prodding' each time, came after the bloods for PSA were taken.

I must admit, when they first mentioned a heightened PSA, those years ago - I was very worried.
I keep off my pushbike for a week before a blood sample for PSA.

I don't recognise your expected value of PSA below 2.9. Up to a couple years ago my reports said 6.5, then it was dropped to 4.99 (unnecessary precision!). My most recent was 6.03, which Urology say is OK at my age, 78.

In any case, as I'm sure you know, PSA results give plenty of false positives and negatives causing unnecessary worry, or maybe unwarranted reassurance.

I've just had my appointed call from urology, in regard to the blood test I had, to check my PSA level last week....

It's down to 4.1. My first check was 8, second 4, third 12, now 4.1, with a couple of digital exams, and a couple of MRI scans in the three or so years, since they first expressed concerns. Ideally, they expect values of PSA, below 2.9. What the experts have decided, is that the up and down values, suggest simple inflammation. Did I have any symptoms? - none whatsoever I was aware of.

They want now to limit it to annual checks of PSA values, via blood test.

Whenever my doctor used to send me for a PSA test, he'd always say "No sex or masturbation for 48 hours before the blood test". The nurses always used to tell me too that riding a bike, digging my allotment or even jogging could send it high as they make the prostate 'Angry' - her words, not mine. 2.9 is way too low. I've been told that for my age, 65, it should be around 4.5 give or take a little. 70+ is 6.5 I believe.
Going from 6 monthly to annually is good.

My take on it at 72 years of age is that if I feel okay then I aint gonna go to the doc. And at 72 years of age if there is anything wrong they are not going to do much about it anyway. My time is limited now whatever happens. I'll go see the quack if I collapse.

Whenever my doctor used to send me for a PSA test, he'd always say "No sex or masturbation for 48 hours before the blood test". The nurses always used to tell me too that riding a bike, digging my allotment or even jogging could send it high as they make the prostate 'Angry' - her words, not mine. 2.9 is way too low. I've been told that for my age, 65, it should be around 4.5 give or take a little. 70+ is 6.5 I believe.

And yet, IIRC, advice years ago was that those with callouses on their hands (ahem ;) ) were less likely to suffer from prostate cancer in later life......

Which would directly contradict what you were told - that having a five-knuckle shuffle makes the prostate "angry".

?

• Thanks
Reactions: DP
Which would directly contradict what you were told - that having a five-knuckle shuffle makes the prostate "angry".
That's only if it (or "it") is just before the blood sample. Regular ejaculation over a long period is what reduces the risk of prostate cancer. Lord Baden-Powell with his urgings has a lot to answer for.

yep i always said And yet, IIRC, advice years ago was that those with callouses on their hands (ahem ;) ) were less likely to suffer from prostate cancer in later life......

?
I always said to the mrs you have a hand in this keeping me healthy crack

my doctor doesn't seem to have a 'too low' figure, seems to suggest 0.1 to 2.9. A rather reassuring letter from him

xBT-5221.gif

They never did come up with a reason why I was needing to go for a pee every few miles when cycling - after a month or two of this nonsense I just went back to normal. (that was a few years ago when I was 60)

Sponsored Links
Back