PT Plus house overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - first time poster here and wondering if anyone can help?

Baxi combi boiler.

We have a three storey home; heating on top and middle floors is controlled by a thermostat located on the top floor, ground floor heating is controlled by a thermostat on the ground floor.

British Gas changed our thermostat last year (September time) but didn’t leave a manual (luckily I’ve found one online) and the thermostat has been set and working fine since, but for the second time this week it’s as though the heating is ignoring the thermostat completely and doing whatever it wants! 4 radiators downstairs (kitchen, hallway, toilet and front room). The thermostat downstairs is set to 22 degrees and to come on at 3:30am, 6am and then later in the day a few times - this morning the radiators downstairs are piping hot and the thermostat was showing 28.5 degrees. I pressed the down arrow to turn it down but when I did so it went from 22 degrees (which is what it’s programmed to). I’ve resorted to turning the radiator in the front room off completely. The kitchen radiator is piping hot, as is the one in the hallway, but strangely the one in the toilet seems to be just warm.

The same thing happened earlier this week on the evening and as a last resort I took the batteries out of the thermostat for half an hour; I don’t know if this worked or helped or anything though. I popped them back in before going to bed. Later that evening all radiators started to cool down and from the following morning the heating was working as normal.

If anyone has any idea what’s going on or how I can fix it I would be so grateful - baby and a toddler and I could really do without ringing British Gas out.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
You will need to add the details of the actual thermostats...

If they are wireless, my guess would be that they are loosing contact with the base unit, giving an instruction to turn on, but the later off instruction is being lost/ failing to get through to the base unit. You taking the batteries out, re-paired the units.

To be fair - I thought if contact was lost for an excessive amount of time, the units would assume they should turn off.

Thank you so much for your reply - this is the thermostat https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1396366/British-Gas-Pt-Plus-22089.html

I’m not sure what the one upstairs is but it’s the one that came with the house - no problems at all with that one, it, and the radiators on the middle and top floor, are working absolutely fine.

I’ve just removed the batteries again while I go out in the hopes that it might help again. It’s just so strange why it’s happening

Hello - first time poster here and wondering if anyone can help?

Baxi combi boiler.

We have a three storey home; heating on top and middle floors is controlled by a thermostat located on the top floor, ground floor heating is controlled by a thermostat on the ground floor.

British Gas changed our thermostat last year (September time) but didn’t leave a manual (luckily I’ve found one online) and the thermostat has been set and working fine since, but for the second time this week it’s as though the heating is ignoring the thermostat completely and doing whatever it wants! 4 radiators downstairs (kitchen, hallway, toilet and front room). The thermostat downstairs is set to 22 degrees and to come on at 3:30am, 6am and then later in the day a few times - this morning the radiators downstairs are piping hot and the thermostat was showing 28.5 degrees. I pressed the down arrow to turn it down but when I did so it went from 22 degrees (which is what it’s programmed to). I’ve resorted to turning the radiator in the front room off completely. The kitchen radiator is piping hot, as is the one in the hallway, but strangely the one in the toilet seems to be just warm.

The same thing happened earlier this week on the evening and as a last resort I took the batteries out of the thermostat for half an hour; I don’t know if this worked or helped or anything though. I popped them back in before going to bed. Later that evening all radiators started to cool down and from the following morning the heating was working as normal.

If anyone has any idea what’s going on or how I can fix it I would be so grateful - baby and a toddler and I could really do without ringing British Gas out.

Thank you!
There must be zone valves, to open when the corresponding thermostat calls for heat. Sounds to me like the one to the ground floor rads is stuck open.

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to fix or would I need an engineer?
I suppose it depends what type of valve it is. First of all, find it! Confirm that water is flowing (pipe getting hot) when it shouldn't be. Then observe it while somebody turns the thermostat up and down, see if you can hear the motor running. Remove the actuator and see if you move the shaft with pliers. From there you should have a clue whether it's the motor failed, or the gears failed somehow, or if the valve has seized or something has fallen off inside. In which case it needs isolating and removing, probably an engineer's job.

Is it possible to fix or would I need an engineer?
Hi Louise, Did you get this sorted? I have the same issue with the same thermostat... It's set to 19 but sometimes heats up the house way past this point and I have to manually tap the temp up or down a fraction of a degree to get the thermostat to recognise it is incorrectly heating. The inverse also happens... The temp will be set to 19 but the rads will be cold and heating off... I tap up a fraction of a degree and it kicks I to life

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back