PTFE on compression fittings?

PTFE on olives or compression joint threads is a BODGE and a surveyor worth his / her salt might spot it one day and put a negative comment referring to non-professional plumbing on a house buyer's survey.

Balls...

Well, i was recently asked to look at the plumbing at a house my client was thinking of buying - just to give an overview, and although things looked generally ok, i noticed PTFE on the threads of the radiator valves compression joint with the pipe and I did point out that this indicated DIY or less than professional standard plumbing work, which might indicate other short cuts elsewhere in the house.

Sponsored Links
Wrap too much PTFE around an olive and it just won't compress. I've been to a few leaky fittings and have found some idiot has applied too much PTFE around the olive and I've been able to simply push the olive with my fingers! A flood waiting to happen.

The only thing I put around my olives are a little Boss Universal, or if its heating work then Boss White. I never apply any PTFE or jointing compound to the threads of my compression fittings, its just utterly pointless.

ive never needed any ptfe on compression joints in over 20 yrs actually doing a job i was trained for. maybe you might need ptfe on compression joints if your a keyboard warrior or a diy'er making a guess at how to do things. there are so many google kings offering advice nowadays who knows whats right.

Sponsored Links
I'm a bikini waxer by trade and DIYer now and again.

This is a DIY website

I've seen plenty of green or white scale or run marks on joints made by professionals, as well as wet leaks. You must have been very lucky never to see one..

PTFE on an olive prevents leaks. Why wouldn't I use it?

ptfe on compression joints does not stop leaks. putting joints together properly prevents leaks.
you got any decent tips on bikini waxing?

if any of you bother reading the instructions on making conex joints
you will see it says a smear of paste if needed /desired :LOL:

on the olive

In over 30 years i wish i had never came across a bit of damaged pipe i had to get onto or a ****e olive in an awkward position or every reducing set on rad valves on existing 8mm have been absolutly perfect etc etc. Guess some people are just really lucky

or every reducing set on rad valves on existing 8mm have been absolutly perfect etc etc. Guess some people are just really lucky

lucky

bleedin miraculous more like ;)

but to be fair its usually after some hairy assed spanner monkey has had a go at it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back