PTFE on compression fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, i see alot of plumbing where people have put ptfe on compression fittings? i never have used it, but are you meant to or not?

Sponsored Links
i don't unless its a old fitting and won't seal so then use a wrap of ptfe.

Alan seams to think strongly about this :p

I remember when i was in college, a boy done it on a gate valve, tapes up the threads, i remember my tutor said something about it stopping the olive from compressing.

Sponsored Links
As a rule, No, but if all you are left with is one manky olive that will probably leak, our tutor advised us it was just about acceptable to wrap the olive in PTFE tape (when its already on the pipe) and create what he called, a cushion, to create a seal.

If the fitting is new or in good condition, don't bother.

Those who put PTFE on the threads are making the mistake of thinkling that the thread makes the seal. It doesn't, it provides the compression.

Alfredo

Yeah thats a pretty good explenation, Thats a on-going arguments ive been having with a mate of mine :D

it is only of benefit to wrap PTFE round an olive if you don't want it to leak.

It seems to me that professional plumbers like to boast that their joints never leak so they have no need of it.

My experience suggests otherwise.

it is only of benefit to wrap PTFE round an olive if you don't want it to leak.

It seems to me that professional plumbers like to boast that their joints never leak so they have no need of it.

My experience suggests otherwise.

It is nothing to do with proffessional plumbers boasting, the manufacturers of compression fittings do not state anything about using PTFE on their fittings, have a look at the link in my previous post.

and yet, PTFE prevents leaks.

Pretty good reason to use it, IMO

You never need to use PTFE on a compression fitting, it is something done by DIYers, Not tradesmen have a look here http://www.yorkshirefittings.co.uk/media/training/TF_2008-12-19/pegler-yorkshire/shell-web.html section 4, no mention of PTFE been required

Seems a bit of an unfair generalisation. It may take an extra 30 seconds, but PTFE around the olives certainly won't do any harm. In fact, the time taken in applying the PTFE seems to be the only downside to using it.

Like JohnD, I've seen many jobs by 'professional' plumbers where compression joints have started to weep over time. It's not serious enough to be noticeable until limescale and corrosion start to form, by which time the plumber has long gone.

Although I only do plumbing on a DIY basis, I've been using PTFE on compression joints for the last few years and have yet to see any that have suffered the aforementioned problem with weeping. I can't prove this is all down to the PTFE, but I certainly feel that it helps. I'm always careful to apply it so that it can't be seen after the fitting is tightened, otherwise it would look crap.

We know what the manufacturers say. They tend not to give guidance on fittings that are less than pristine. As I said the general rule is against using PTFE or sealing compound such as Jet Blue..but then what happens when you obey the rules as laid out by the manufacturer, and your joint leaks. You dismantle it and remake it...it still leaks...then what do you do.

In the real world every plumber has at some stage either reached for the PTFE or more likely the Jet Blue to seal the b**er up. Now and again its just what you have to do to get the job done.

I really don't care if anybody disagrees with the practice. Thats what happens. It works.

I know a big commercial plumbing company that gives verbal warnings to its staff if they don't use Jet Blue on ALL compression fittings. It saves them a lot of callbacks, which is why they do it, I don't agree with their stance, but so what, they pay the wages, they call the shots.

Alfredo

i dont care who uses it, it doesnt make you a better or worse tradesman, IF you use it properly, it is the mark of DIY to see it round the threads of a compression fitting as opposed to the olive, it smacks of someone who has no idea what they are doing, i never use it on plumbing with new pipe and fittings, but as others have said, if you spilt an old fitting i always wrap a couple of rounds to minimise the risk of a leak, ita all about time and confideence in your work ie with brand new stuff it doesnt leak, but if old the time to put ptfe on makes up for the time lost draining to put it on after an old fitting leaks, i ALWAYS put a couple of turns of gas ptfe tape on my compression olives.

We know what the manufacturers say. They tend not to give guidance on fittings that are less than pristine. As I said the general rule is against using PTFE or sealing compound such as Jet Blue..but then what happens when you obey the rules as laid out by the manufacturer, and your joint leaks. You dismantle it and remake it...it still leaks...then what do you do.

In the real world every plumber has at some stage either reached for the PTFE or more likely the Jet Blue to seal the b**er up. Now and again its just what you have to do to get the job done.

I really don't care if anybody disagrees with the practice. Thats what happens. It works.

I know a big commercial plumbing company that gives verbal warnings to its staff if they don't use Jet Blue on ALL compression fittings. It saves them a lot of callbacks, which is why they do it, I don't agree with their stance, but so what, they pay the wages, they call the shots.Alfredo

they must have made this decision after a run of leaks, they havent done it for nothing, perhaps the quality of the stuff we buy now isnt as good and there are more leaks being left so they have decided this will sort it, as i have already posted, who cares, as long as the right material has been used in the right way

... perhaps the quality of the stuff we buy now isnt as good and there are more leaks being left ....
I don't believe there was ever a golden age when joints never leaked.

Not since the days of threaded gas-barrel, boss-white and hemp, anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back