PTFE on compression joints or not???

Never PTFE on any compression joint, before, after or over the olive!

Thin smear of jointing compound on the fitting side of the pipe and that's that.

Old fittings should have the olive replaced and remade. If this becomes impossible then paste will still do the trick.

If, as mentioned above, the pipe doesn't enter quite straight or is under undue pressure then the pipework should be altered accordingly.

Trade point of view not DIY.

Jon

Completely agree, a smear of Boss White(generic name) on the fitting side of all compression olives.
If you ever go to a job & see PTFE on compression fitting, disconnect at your pearl!! It's been done by a DaftyDIYer or cowboy!! It'll blown off in your hands!!

Regardless of the type of olive, copper or brass always just use Boss White joint paste.

Sponsored Links
I was 'taught' to put tape on thread although could never really understand how it helps because the seal is as the olive is forced against fitting. Surely any tape on olive spoils this seal..

Yes, PTFE on the comp fitting thread could stop the nut travelling far enough down the thread, which may mean that it's not exerting enough pressure on the olive. You may think the nut is tight enough, but it may be tight on all the PTFE on the thread, not on the olive.

Sponsored Links
Never laughed so much since the wife died!!! This thread has had over 1.5K views!!!......:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Never laughed so much since the wife died!!! This thread has had over 1.5K views!!!......:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Which probably equates to 3k of leaking compression joints in DIY houses at a minimum so far!

Sorry to hear about the wife. What happened to olive? Did you split'er? :ROFLMAO:

Never used PTFE on compression joints. Always use solder joints if you can. I used jointing compound on all comp fittings.

Btw, this thread is 6 years old

Daniel.

Ptfe on compression to me is a sign of non professional work ,,, just like some idiots ptfe immersion heaters

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back