Pub Bar Remodel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys. Im hoping some of you would be able to help me witht this.

I have been asked to price a job, remodelling a Bar.
I am a carpenter but have never done any pub fitting or shop fitting before.

The customer is thinking of sanding down the bar and putting a new finish on. They want to leave pillars of bar but strip off the panelling in between(which looks like its just ply and then moulding to create a panel look).

Im wondering if I'd be able to sand back the bar well enough to get a good finish(its dark varnish and they want it lighter in colour, im not sure what wood it is) What wood be best to to fill in between the pillars as new panelling, they want a mcu more modern look, also they are spending alot on mood lighting.

Also difficult to price this one the pub doesnt open till 4pm so id have most of the day to do work and then finish for the day, this wont be a problem untill it comes to the actual bar its self. I would prob have to work all day and all night, but my thinking is this still wouldnt be enough to sand clean and put a new finish on the bar as i assume it would take a few coats .

Any I deas and help appreciated , cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
Sub contract the re-polishing including the striping of the bar to a professional polisher (French polisher), not a painter and decorator but a polisher he will be able to apply up to 3 coats of a precatalyst lacquer or A/C lacquer in a day that once the prep work as been carried out. That then leaves you can stick to your trade.

Not knowing what the existing bar looks like and what your clients have in mind for the final look I can’t advise you on the rest.

cheers that s a good help. Will the french polisher also sand the bar?
At this stage i only know that they want a lighter finish, this depends on the wood under the varnish. Cheers

Some do some don’t. But you should ask for a quotation for the striping and polishing.

Sponsored Links
be prepaired to stop at 2.30 or 3.00 to clean up in time i bet you he wants the pub back around 3.30 for 4 oclock opening!!!

Yea . cheers Al, although he has said he will be willing to close the pub for a couple of days if need be.

Have you had any experience of pub fitting.??
If it was drinking I would be ok ;)

If the bar top has had a hard life - lots of dings & dents then its going to take one hell of a lot of sanding, even then if its a dark wood you want get it a lot lighter so may be wasting your time if its not as light as client wants, you can only do so much with wood bleach.

Suggest you do a small test area that can be hidden under a bar mat before committing to the whole bar top.

I've only done one bar, which was a complete strip out and replace, closed for 9 days. All the woodwork was done off site in the workshop and I got a van with tail lift to take it all to site. You will need a full spec and plan of work, no time for client making decisions once you start and all other trades need to be well planned. Have you checked that the panels are not supporting all the spagetti junction of pipework that run to the pumps?, Brewery will work on these.

Jason

Have you had any experience of pub fitting.??
If it was drinking I would be ok ;)

Yes

You want to the least amount on site as possible. You see its all in the peroration and planning. Take the infill panels between the pilasters, these could be produced & finished off site days if not weeks beforehand just by taking very detailed measurements or by making a MDF template. Then all that’s need is to fit them. You would fit them using secrete fixings method i.e. the screw heads hidden pre-refinished mouldings, these mouldings can be fixed using double side tape or 22swg headless pins.

Any bric-a-brac shelves can also be produced and finished off site.
As I have already said it’s all in the planning and it’s not just planning your trade but its planning and coordinating the other trades.

You will need to think about;

Electrics i.e. new lighting, switch sockets and cable runs

Any new plumbing, pipe work runs

Any new or replacement appliances i.e. bottle coolers, coffee makers etc and don’t forget all electrical appliances will need switch sockets at hand.

Floor coverings.

New or reupholstered setting.

Redecoration; painting and wall papering.

Shop fitting and alike can’t be planned on the back of a envelope and made up as you go along.

All the above is just reinforcing what Jasonb as already told you.

This may be of interest but I offer a design only service i.e. detailed working drawings and specification. For further information I shall require an email address.

Cheers Jason(bar looks great, Ive seen a fair bit of your work and it all looks top quality) and awbcm your comments help alot. I was thinking the same about the Bar myself, by the time they pay for it to be redone they might aswell have new.

As far as lighting etc is concerned the guy who has approached me is doing the lighting etc. Basically Ive found out that his firm have done alot of lighting in pubs cruise ships etc and now he wants to take on the Job lot. Sparky on the job who has also done alot of shop fits etc is my girlfriends step father, so thats no probs to work with him.

I realise now that I need alot more info than Ive been given.

It maybe worth me going to a joinery firm and get them to make what I need and ill fit it???

Is there any mandatory specs involved with this eg Bar top.

Thanks for the offer awbcm with regards to design, Ill find out more details and get back to you. Would it be a problem with distance this Pub is in south wales . Where are you based?

Again thanks for the help, anymore comments on what Ive written are welcome.

Cheers

Thanks for the offer awbcm with regards to design, Ill find out more details and get back to you. Would it be a problem with distance this Pub is in south wales . Where are you based?

Cheers

I have attempted to send you a PM requesting an email address so I can forward you full details including my website address, but to no avail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back