pub benches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my boss has asked me to tidy up all his outside furniture on his public houses. What will be the best and quickest way off going about this. only going to be doing the table top and the seat top. was thinking quick going over with a belt sander, brush off dust and then paint some all weather varnish on them? any better ideas?. all in all will end up doing about a hundred off them, and all he want is a quick make over?

Sponsored Links
so everything else i wrote seems ok then belt sander then use an oil

If they are easy to remove then id take the tops off and the seats and put them through a thicknesser, i know it'll take time to remove them but it'll also take time to sand out all those chunks, and if you use 80 grit to remove the bulk you'll have to finish off with finer paper to bring back some sort of acceptable face otherwise it be pointless tidying them up.

IMO you'd get a perfect finish with a thicknesser, all even heights, no sanding marks that will jump out when you stain and you could sell to shavings to a pet shop to recoup some money :D

Sponsored Links
You'd be surprised how long it will take with a belt sander. If there are loads to do the best option is probably getting them dipped.

I think crank is on the right track, but you'll not readily get access to a thicknesser that will do much more than 2' so your into a lot of dismantling.

If there are no fixing heads sticking out too much i would run a power plane over them and finish them with a quick blast with the belt sander.

why dont you remove all planks,give them a rough sand down,and turn them over,restain etc,jobs a good en. ;)

You'd be surprised how long it will take with a belt sander. If there are loads to do the best option is probably getting them dipped.

I think crank is on the right track, but you'll not readily get access to a thicknesser that will do much more than 2' so your into a lot of dismantling.

If there are no fixing heads sticking out too much i would run a power plane over them and finish them with a quick blast with the belt sander.

Sorry i meant remove the tops and put the boards through individually

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back