Pull cord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2BD5CC03-C00E-40B4-A0F1-9F30C637141B.jpeg
65326879-C957-490A-BE04-EFB12A5715FB.jpeg
hi can anyone please help me I pulled the cord out of my loft pull cord switch so bought a replacement. Unfortunately I bough the wrong one I isolated my electric off took photos of the old switch..after realising I had the wrong switch I have put my old one back on exactly as it come off but know my landing and two bedroom lights are not working I did not touch anything else or disturb anything and have replaced the wires exactly as they come off any help please...bottom one is before I removed and top is when I replaced..

Sponsored Links
That pull cord switch won’t be the reason why the bedroom and landing lights aren’t working. Is there an RCD in your consumer unit which has tripped (switch is down)?

The pull cord switch is either the last one on the lighting radial, or there is a junction box somewhere which might need checking.

My money would be on something having tripped in the consumer unit. Even after isolating via an MCB, allowing the neutral and earth wires to touch will trip an RCD.

Thanks for replying chapster yes I did trip the fuse after incorrectly wiring the first time but all the switches are know on...

Sponsored Links
What mistake did you make ,and what tripped , MCB or RCD ? You may have fried something or loosenend a connection elsewhere whilst working on your pull switch.

I tried to wire in the new cord switch which was different and I put Both the red wires in the same connection, which then when I tried to put electric back on tripped the fuse immediately...

I tried to wire in the new cord switch which was different and I put Both the red wires in the same connection, which then when I tried to put electric back on tripped the fuse immediately...

What fuse ? Do you mean the MCB for upstairs lighting circuit ? Anyway ,are ALL upstairs lights not working ? If so switch off the MCB that tripped and then switch it back on ( up ) ,firmly. See if it makes a difference.

It was the fuse which says upstairs lights that tripped and know my upstairs landing, one back bedroom and one front bedroom don’t work all the rest upstairs work...

Some MCBs have to be reset by pressing the lever DOWN as far as it will go before pressing it back UP into the ON position.

Just pushing the lever UP shows the ON indication but does NOT reset the mechanism of the trip and the circut remains OFF

Its a MCB ,not a fuse Leigh. Anyway if other lights on the circuit it supplies are working then you can rule out the MCB. As you were working in the loft ,which is where the cables linking all your upstairs lights most likely run , its possible that you may have in advertently loosened one. Turn off the MCB and visually check around the loft. If that reveals nowt your gonna need a multimeter , the know how of how your lighting circuit works and a bit more help ,or the services of a spark.

I put Both the red wires in the same connection, which then when I tried to put electric back on tripped the fuse immediately...
No - that wouldn't have done it - how could it, given that the purpose of the switch is to create a connection between both reds when it's turned on?

No - that wouldn't have done it - how could it, given that the purpose of the switch is to create a connection between both reds when it's turned on?
Well, if the live black were in the other side of the switch... We don't really know anything about the wrong switch.

Well, if the live black were in the other side of the switch... We don't really know anything about the wrong switch.

Most likely he has bought a single pole rather than double pole . put two red together and two black together and created a dead short. Maybe the op can confirm ,rather than us guessing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back