Replacing pull cord switch in bathroom

Yes the light in a back bedroom I presume is on the same circuit and I noticed today that it is gone too....so presumably related.....

No the 3 black wires were not conected to anything and were loose...Is that the norm?????

Sorry but I havnt got a meter to check.....

Sponsored Links
if the blacks had been connected they would be stripped and the copper would be showing
Are you sure the switch did not just have neutral connections as well and just simply pulled out when you took the switch off

what terminals were marked on the old switch

the other room is off because two of the reds are parted,
If the blacks are not in use and not stripped
Leave them for now
Isolate supply join all 3 reds together temporary , the bath light should then stay on permenently.
and the other room should work again
then return for more info

They were stripped and copper was showing but were deffo not connected...I'm 100% sure cause I was shocked at how dangerous looking it looked if that made sense.

The swith had a comm connection which the bulb in bathroom went to...An L1 which didnt even have anything in it (by which I mean a screw to screw wires into) and an L2 which the other two reds were connected to.

The replacement switch is exactly the same...

It's very dark at mo so will turn off fuse at fuse box in morning and put all three reds in com???and then tell u what has appened

By the position of the blacks, is there any evidence they may have been together or squash marks from the screws.

By the position of the blacks Is it possible, but NEVER EVER DO IT that the 3 blacks came out the L1 term with no screw, as the lives in your case were on L2, the light would work, but it is VERY VERY BAD PRACTISE
Could the connecter have fell off before you noticed,or is on the floor now.
have a bath s*ds law says you will tred on it :)

From the way you say the reds were, it does sound like the 3 blacks do go together
But I WOULD NOT :!: recomend doing so as some times Black can be a switch live out from switches :!:
Though as it is at the switch end it may be ok to join them later to try.

Isolate supply
When you do try the reds the other room light may still not work or be dim
Dont panic this will be because if the blacks are neutral and they are parted , then there is no neutral to the other room

The two reds together , it is important you remember what ones they are.
Live and Loop live

Therfore mark the wires and try the 3 reds together with the 3 Blacks parted first

How do you know the red goes to the bath light, if you can see it, then can you see the black also with it. if so then they are proberly neutrals .then

Sponsored Links
Good point I havnt looked to see if there was any evidence of them being screwed but will look at first light lol.

To be honest I think they were just loose in the box. There was deffo nothing in the connector and there isnt one in new one either so thought it was industry standard. Its a well known make 3 letters but cant remeber UMV UMK BMK summat like that.

Someone earlier said to put three blacks in a block of which I have now done they are on their own which I presumed was to be a bit safer as they were just loose before.

Ok will mark them bulb 1, live 1 and live 2.

Thanx for all the help everyone and people say society is falling apart from the evidence of people going out of their way to help me it does restore my faith in society

opps forgot to say yes im lucky in that the loft hatch is in B/R and it's only arm lenght to bulb so I deffo know red and black from bulb

Just a suggestion. if there are 3 cables going into the switch then i would assume that there is a live feed in and a live feed out. then a switch live cable. therefore the three blacks should be neutral( put in a connector block together) and the two reds that were in the L1 should be in the common. Then the remaining red (switch live) should go into L1.
Is the pull-switch working properly? I have lost count of the number of times i have bought a new one only for it to be faulty!
If in doubt call a sparky!

there are three red cables going into pull switch. One red is from bulb in B/R going to com the other two reds are going into L2. Now I thought one of the two reds is the live feed to the bulb in the back bedroom and the other one is a live feed from elsewhere?

I will put 3 blacks in same connection in block.

I know black n red from B/R.....I can also see which red n black go to Back bedroom....then there is a black and red coming from elshere so if you wouldnt mind sayin bedroom red & bath red together & other red on its own or bath on its own and other two together which is what it is at mo it wud make it a bit easier...cheersssss

I dont think it is the pull switch (but cud be) as I put old one that worked back and when I put back exactly same way it stopped workin....lololol

opps forgot to say yes im lucky in that the loft hatch is in B/R and it's only arm lenght to bulb so I deffo know red and black from bulb

Then it is likely to be neutrals
N in, from a working light maybe ** say N1
N out, to next room *************** say N2
N out, to bath light ************* sayN3

If you feel competent, or else do not attempt
You can prove the Neutrals
Isolate each time and leave unused blacks safe each time
With all 3 reds together, will save you having to touch the switch each time you reset, so will be safer.
Using BLACKS as above
N 1+ 2 +3 not connected both wont work or dim
N 2+3 connected both wont work or dim
N 1 + 2 connected, no bath light, other light works only
N 1 +3 connected no other light , bath light works only
N 1 + 2+ 3 All work ok job done, Join in a proper terminal block
If you can prove the wires then there will be no doubt
Finally power off refit switch , two reds in the L1 ( Live In from bed poss and live out to bed , not working ), and the ,bath red in the com on its own .
Or reverse way round, if you want, as it is only a one way switch
Leave L2 empty!
(Using L1 or L2 in this case would not matter but do as above)
Let us know tomorrow how you get on

Hi,

Just wanted to say a massive thnx to all who have helped.....Particularly 333rocky

The prob was the black neutrals I put them seperately in a connector box when in fact they should have all gone in the same one so again tnx for all who posted I found the advice extremely helpfull...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back