Replacing pull cord switch in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am replacing an old pull cord switch in my bathroom when I took the old one off there were 3red wires and 3 black wires. One red wire which comes from bulb was connected to com the other two reds went into L1 I put it back exactly as it was before but light wouldnt come on. I then put back the old one and that wouldnt work either. The black wires were not connected to anything and was wondering if anyone can help other than calling a sparky????

Sponsored Links
Are the blacks all joined together in a block? (If so that is good.)
Make sure you have good connections i.e. you are not screwing down onto the insulation etc. Also check the neutral connections and earth connections are all nice and secure.

No blacks are not in a block but I could do that no probs. I will check but I'm pretty sure I screwed down on to wire and not insulation. When u say neutral and earth connections are nice and secure there is no earth wire and I thought the blacks were the nuetral and didnt touch them...

Thanks so very much for your help

It is just the arrangement you say which made me think the blacks could have been the neutrals, they weren't naughtilly in the terminal in the base of the old fitting? (if they were, use a terminal block to joint them).
No earth in the cable? Some houses were wired in this cable many moons ago, means you cannot use earthed metal fittings.

Sponsored Links
Spark123's advice is sound.

Do you have a multimeter?

If so, you could check that the two red wires in one side of the switch both give 240V readings when the meter is connected between them and the black wires (which should be together in a terminal block).

The other red wire (which should be the switched live to the lamp) should not give a live reading, but should read a low resistance between red and black, and open circuit when the lamp is removed in the light fitting.

If you do test, make sure the power is off and fit a terminal block to the end of each wire before turning back on and testing - and take care. Don't try to do it stood on a wobbly step stool :eek: - thats a sparky's job :LOL:

Gavin

So basically what your saying is put the 3 blacks in a block, make sure reds are screwed to the wire.....and that should be ok?????

The red wire from bulb (I know its from bulb as I chased the wire back) should be in com....the other two reds in L1 and the 3 blacks in a block??????

Thanks very much..........

I'm am so sure thats what I did though and if it doesnt work call in the calvery..........or change the bulb lol

Right an update....... I put the red wire from bulb into com and the two other reds into L2 as there was no screw in L1 and put the 3 blacks in a block changed the light bulb but yet it still does not work any suggestions??????

What was the reason for replacing the original pullcord? I'm now wondering if there is a different fault i.e. a wire out somewhere, damaged cable?

I was simply just redecorating the bathroom and wanted everything fresh and clean.....

I'm wondering if there is something above which you have disturbed? Have you also done any work on the light fitting?

Ermmm at first I didn't do anything but swap the wires after when I realised that it didn't work I did look in loft to chase back the wire from the bulb but didn't really make too much disturbance. No I havn't done anything to the bulb fitting although if and when this prob was rectified that was my next task..

Just out of curiosity the wiring in the house is probably circa gawd knows but must be 30 years old how much as a rough gestamation would it cost to completely re-wire a 3 bed house????

Are there any other lights on the same circuit? Are they working?
Age is probably somewhere around there as there is no earth in the lighting circuit. As for price you will be better getting an electrician to come and give you a quote, ask friend/family for recommendations.

Did you suggest the 3 black wires weren't connected to anything originally?!

Did you check the bulb? Were you able to test with a meter as instructed above?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back