PULL UP \ PUSH DOWN SHOWER DIVERTER HAS BECOME VERY STIFF TO USE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Below is a picture of my bath taps \mixer. The push up and pull down collar for the shower diverter has become very stiff to use. Tried wd40 to no avail.
Is there any way to fix it as cant see any way of opening or failing that what replacement bath tap mixer would you recommend as a replacement ? Are they all standard fit and should I get a plumber to replace it.

Many thanks,
Phil.
upload_2017-9-4_16-48-26.png

Sponsored Links
1. WD40 is unlikely to do anything except swell any O rings inside the valve and make the problem worse.
2. Try removing the hose from the top centre of the tap set and see if there is any way of removing the diverter from the top. Unlikely, as most are assembled from underneath, and if you have to remove the taps, you may as well replace with better ones.
3. They are normally a spring loaded shuttle type valve with two or sometimes three O rings. If you can disassemble it you may be able to get replacement O rings.
4. If replacing, get a well known make such as Bristan, Crosswater, Vado from a plumbers merchants, rather than another "no name" import from the Orient.
5. Remove the hose, measure distance between centre of hot and cold knobs. This will give you the pipe centres, most likely 180mm.
6. You have a deck mixer tap with shower divert. Any such bath tap with the same pipe centre distance should fit, although sometimes the screw thread may not be as long on the new one and require an extension piece.
7. If you go new and it comes with plastic back nuts, I'd replace them with brass back nuts before fitting.
8. Generally a fiddly job because access is limited. You'll need to get under the bath so need to remove any panelling in the way.
9. If existing ones fitted with flexible hoses and isolation valves, you could probably do it yourself.
10. If hard piped to the taps and / or no isolation valves, you might want to consider getting a plumber to do it.

Agitate/manipulate it repeatedly adding a lime scale remover (killrock is very good as it is a gel) and try some silicone spray all over it whilst working it. Clean up all residue with tissue paper and repeat.
Other than that it's a dismantle or replace parts or whole unit.

Sponsored Links
This is a rather old article but if anyone has searched for this 'stiff diverter' on a tap of this type, I may be able to help.
My tap became very stiff to change from bath to shower and I found the cure was to replace the O-rings in the diverter mechanism and lubricate them with silicon grease.
You can remove the diverter assembly from the tap with a suitable spanner. You will need a bit of heat and a vice to dismantle the diverter and get at the O-rings which are located within the assembly. I applied some nut lock to the parts of the assembly that I had freed with heat.
The size of O-rings I found suitable were Imperial Nitrile Rubber O Rings 14mm by 1.78mm Cross Section BS001-BS031 from Seals R Us available at most folks favourite online dealer at a very reasonable price. the dealer is eBay. but I may be allowed to advertise them here ?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back